Intel Core2 Duo T5470 --> T7700?

thefruntpage

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
Hello,

I'm looking for a small, cheap upgrade to tide me over until I can get a new machine, and I'd like to know if dropping a T7700 in place of a T5470 is advisable or even possible. I've got 2GB Ram and a GeForce 8400M GS.

I've done upgrades like this before on a desktop but never a laptop, so any advice you could lend would help.

Thanks.

popatim

Titan
Well step 1 in any prebuild system (HP, Dell, Gateway, Toshiba, etc...) is checking the manufacturers website for a cpu support list. Failing that you can look for which processors the unit ever shipped with for your given motherboard. Then if you dont fins it there you can check user forums and see if or how many have tried it anyways and if it worked or not.

You see these prebuilt systems are locked in the bios as to which processors they will work with.

Good luck

lowriderflow

Distinguished
regardless of if it's possible... it's not worth it. It's essentially the same processor... probly 10% faster real world... that doesnt mean your machine will be 10% faster tho, theres lots of other factors (lack of RAM, hard drive speed, etc)
Save your money toward an ew laptop

thefruntpage

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
Yeah - I was hoping that I'd see some improvement at least. T7700s are only $40 on Ebay, so I thought I'd give it a try. But you think it might be more trouble than it's worth?

As far as checking the manufacturers website, Dell is next to worthless when trying to identify actual makes/models of their components; I'm having very little luck.