Question about compatibility

skcid

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
So I was going to build a new computer, but sandybridge went to hell, so now I am stuck waiting. I thought I might still go ahead and get the video card I was planning on: XFX HD-695X-ZNFC Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP.

I was wondering if I could just plug that into my old machine until Sandybridge and/or Bulldozer is out, and then build my new comp. My old motherboard has PCI Express x16, and I need to know if a PCI Express 2.1 x16 will work in that slot.

Is a PCI Express 2.1 x16 card backward compatible with a PCI Express x16 slot?

skcid

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
It seems that it should be, so I guess my next question is should I get the 6950 or something else?

/edit I was just looking at newegg, and I think I'll probably get the 2GB card instead of the 1. Any issues?

skcid

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
Intel 3ghz single core 2gb of ram, 1 HDD and 1 dvd, should a 550w power supply be able to handle that and a 6950?

Also do you know where I can get the physical dimensions of a SAPPHIRE 100312-1GSR Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16? Newegg doesn't have them, and I might be tight on space.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

As long as your PSU is of decent quality, then you should be fine. What make/model is your PSU?

Also, be sure you have the physical space to mount the HD6950.

skcid

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
Oh... one more thing and it's an easy one... I'm running xp 32bit and wasn't going to upgrade to 7 until I went with the new build. This won't cause any problems will it? Thanks.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

The OS isn't an issue, but the PSU is. As Griffolion stated, if your current PSU isn't of sufficient quality, you should wait altogether for the new rig. Also, your current rig will benefit (assuming you have space and power) from the GPU performance increase, but won't scratch the surface of a HD6950's performance capabilities.

skcid

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
I don't know what kind of case I have... I bought it in 2001...

I'm pretty sure that I currently have an x1950xt AMD. I'll post more info in a couple hours when I can open my case up.

I do know I won't be scratching the surface of what the 6950 can do... It's just to hold me over while I wait for sandybridge or possibly bulldozer. I have just been in desperate need of an upgrade for quite some time, and once I finally decided to do it, Intel had problems. :(

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
You should get the 2GB version because the difference is $10.

If the case was bought in 2001 chances are that it won't be very roomy, it might not even be ATX.

Was the PSU bought at the same time as the case? If it was I would not even bother with the 6950.

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Both the 6950 and 6970 are over 11" long, longer than the width of the motherboard. Most likely, they won't fit into an older case. Even newer, large mid-towers can be too small, although some are designed with longer GPUs in mind. A full tower would be best, as both fit and airflow are issues.
As far as upper end card memory, I'd go with 2gb, or at least 1.5gb in Nvidias case. Modern games are getting more GPU memory intensive, and since SLI/X-fire don't combine memory in multi GPU configs, a single card is needed.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

To be honest, I wouldn't spend any money on an AGP GPU (or very little at least) because you would be able to use later in a new rig. PCI and PCI-E slots are different and are incompatible with devices made for the other type. The GPUs discussed will not work on your old mobo. Sorry.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

He since posted having an old AGP system and provided a link. The OP is going to build a new system in the near future and wanted to get a jump on the process by buying (and playing with) the GPU now. If accurate, this is not a feasible option.

skcid

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
Thanks for the info guys... Was pretty sad when I realized I had an AGP. Pretty much was just a dream I had when I should have been working. Oh well... I can wait patiently for a few months.