Sign in with
Your question

Needing to upgrade with no idea...

Last response: in Memory
March 31, 2012 6:55:24 PM

Hello Community,

I have a computer, built for me 2 years ago. It is now time to upgrade and I don't really know what's compatible and what isn't. I have listed the exact components I currently have and a website where I will buy new ones from. I am hoping someone will be able to give some insight as to what I can plug into what!

Computer:
CPU: i7 920
Mobo: GA-EX58-UD3R v1.0
Current RAM: Corsair CM3X1G1333C9 (3x1 GB) - I cant find their product page :( 
GFX: Nvidia GTX 460 SE
Power: TX650W

Everything is running @ stock speeds. I want to upgrade my RAM and possibly my GFX.

If you could take a look at this website and tell me what you would recommend for for a RAM upgrade I would be very grateful! I don't know what the 1333 or 1666 means but I am told it all depends on my motherboard. I am figuring 8Gb and from Corsair should be sufficient at around the 100€ range (living in Germany for school hence needing to buy from this website).

Also, is my current power supply strong enough to upgrade my GTX 460 SE to a newer, more powerful Nvidia card?

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

More about : needing upgrade idea

a c 128 } Memory
March 31, 2012 8:34:24 PM

You'll want another 3 x 1 gb or 3 x 2 gb kit, depending on your board configuration options. Read the motherboard manual for ram suggestions. It's still your best source. Your board is designed for ram kits in threes, not twos or fours. Your corsair tx650 should handle another video card upgrade, but not two cards at once. You'll need more juice for that.
April 1, 2012 1:22:54 AM

Thank you for the reply o1die!

My problem with the memory support list from Gigabyte (for my motherboard) is that it's not very helpful at all. :( 

So I need a 3x1 kit at either 1333 or 1600. So I am off to a good start. Now how do I find out about the timings(?) 9-9-9-3 or whatever and the voltages? Would these work do you think?
Related resources
a b } Memory
April 1, 2012 1:37:21 AM

Those should work fine. I have never had compatability problems with Corsair memory.
It is actually my first choice when buying memory.
April 1, 2012 1:52:07 AM

ur compu maybe a couple of years old but cpu and mobo still easily good enough i would suggest some aftermarket cooling for your cpu clock it up a bit 3.5ghz should be plenty get 3x2gb ram something like gskill is cheap and good eg ripjaw x 1600 (or you could get another 1333 kit and keep existing ram in to for total of 9gb) and give it a bump in video card just spend whatever the rest of your budget is on it!
April 2, 2012 10:51:26 AM

As I have 3 slots for RAM on my mobo, do I have to use all 3? Could I buy a 2x4 GB kit or should I utilise all 3 slots?
a c 128 } Memory
April 2, 2012 11:14:05 PM

Fill them all up. Don't try running with 5 slots; spend a little more if necessary and get the kit designed for your board. x58 boards work best with either 3 or 6 sticks of ram.
!