New build, display intermitent flickers

G

I just got done assembling my new system and installed windows xp (i think it was 32 bit).
ASRock p67 extreme 4
i5 3.3 ghz
2x msi twin frozr II gtx 560 ti/factory oc in sLI
corsair tx750 watt

and my problem is that the display would flicker, no crashing of any sort, just flickering. I can run programs fine, but the screen would just flash on and off ranging from a few seconds to a few minutes every time. I'm using a 5+ year old Dell flat panel monitor and this does not occur with my old Dell system.

I dont have any updated drivers installed yet. But should this happen even with stock drivers?
Could it be a monitor issue? or the vid card itself?

Solution
Some ideas:

1 . if you are using a SLI bridge cable make sure it is seated correctly. with the system on very carefully touch it lightly and jiggle it see if the monitor flickers. SLI cables are very touchy the vibration from fans and HDD's can mess with them. if this is the issue, you can try taping it down, but you will probably need a new (quality SLI bridge cable)

2. could be a back cable or loose connection. try jiggling the monitor video cable around to see if flickers when you do so. check all your connections are the seated correctly and tight? are you using 15pin VGA to DVI connector?

3. try the other DVI connector on the first card.

4. disable the SLI in windows. does the monitor still flicker?

5. remove second...

jerreddredd

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Some ideas:

1 . if you are using a SLI bridge cable make sure it is seated correctly. with the system on very carefully touch it lightly and jiggle it see if the monitor flickers. SLI cables are very touchy the vibration from fans and HDD's can mess with them. if this is the issue, you can try taping it down, but you will probably need a new (quality SLI bridge cable)

2. could be a back cable or loose connection. try jiggling the monitor video cable around to see if flickers when you do so. check all your connections are the seated correctly and tight? are you using 15pin VGA to DVI connector?

3. try the other DVI connector on the first card.

4. disable the SLI in windows. does the monitor still flicker?

5. remove second GPU. power up system and see if there is still flicker?

lastly, upgrade to WIN7 64bit. you are wasting all that power on a 32 bit OS.

Solution
G

Its my first time running a 64-bit enabled cpu and the only os i had on hand was the old 32 bit xp. T-T

anyways, jiggling the sli bridge seemed to be the problem. all the other test didn't recreate the problems. if the sli bridge came with the mb, would it still be under warranty?

jerreddredd

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

should be. contact the manufacturer a ask them to replace it.