Help! Water on desktop!

crossedoutt

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Hi guys, I have a major problem.

Right after building my first ever pc, i set it off to the side and let it sit there so I can tackle the software components tomorrow. Then my dad came along and spilled his bowl of grapes over my desktop, which has a top vent so it fell into the components. Luckily, it wasn't powered on.

I saw that there were small droplets of water on my mother board and video card, and along my cables. There wasn't so much that i was everywhere, just 4-5 small droplets on the motherboard and vid card. I wiped them off with q-tips, and then finished it off with a blow dry.

I'm leaving it open and air drying it for tonight, and booting it in the morning. What are the chances it'll be ok?

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
I've heard this works for wet cameras and phones so - how about pack your components into a sealed container with rice (using something to keep the rice dust off the components). The rice will absorb all the moisture from the air in the container and thereby encouraging all those dotlets of water to leave your equipment.

These sound like some good ideas but before I would do these I would use a can of air on it to blow out and loose water. Overall if you don’t expose the system to power it shouldn’t cause a problem to let it dry out. Now if you were to spill some soda or something sugary that can lead to another whole mess that you may not be able to clean up easy.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team