Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New motherboard rod Ivybridge

Last response: in Motherboards
March 31, 2012 9:08:29 PM

I plan to move to the ivybridge i5 3570K with a new motherboard, I am looking for some recommendation for the new motherboard. I’m hoping this new setup to last a few years and be upgrade flexible. Any thought on a LGA 1155 socket board? The ASUS P5E3 Premium I bought a few years ago has been a bit of overkill as it had more bells and whistles than I ever used. My planned use is home/business office and gaming (as is probably obvious from the GTX 680 gpu listed below) – I plan on using the motherboard's built in sound (might add home theater sound later) – I can afford $800 for the board and cpu as I will reuse the other components. My current build includes:

CPU Yorkfield Q9550 Quad
Mobo ASUS P5E3 Premium
Case ANTEC 900
PSU ANTEC 1000
Memory 8 gig Corsair DDR3 CNX4Gx3M2a1600C9
HDs 2 WD Velocoraptor 300 GB
SSD - Crucial M4 128
GPU Nvidia GTX 680 (Zotac)
CU fan, optical drives, gaming mouse and keyboard etc..
Windows 7 Ultimate running 64 bit
Local 100gb LAN

Any recommendations for the new motherboard will be greatly appreciated
April 2, 2012 3:03:18 PM

Dienekes78 said:
I plan to move to the ivybridge i5 3570K with a new motherboard, I am looking for some recommendation for the new motherboard. I’m hoping this new setup to last a few years and be upgrade flexible. Any thought on a LGA 1155 socket board? The ASUS P5E3 Premium I bought a few years ago has been a bit of overkill as it had more bells and whistles than I ever used. My planned use is home/business office and gaming (as is probably obvious from the GTX 680 gpu listed below) – I plan on using the motherboard's built in sound (might add home theater sound later) – I can afford $800 for the board and cpu as I will reuse the other components. My current build includes:

CPU Yorkfield Q9550 Quad
Mobo ASUS P5E3 Premium
Case ANTEC 900
PSU ANTEC 1000
Memory 8 gig Corsair DDR3 CNX4Gx3M2a1600C9
HDs 2 WD Velocoraptor 300 GB
SSD - Crucial M4 128
GPU Nvidia GTX 680 (Zotac)
CU fan, optical drives, gaming mouse and keyboard etc..
Windows 7 Ultimate running 64 bit
Local 100gb LAN

Any recommendations for the new motherboard will be greatly appreciated

I'm refreshing this message as I got no Replies and still need advice.
Score
April 4, 2012 11:33:51 AM

Dienekes78 said:
I'm refreshing this message as I got no Replies and still need advice.

For that set up i would recommend a h77 or z77 chipset as they are now on sale and are better than the H61 and the Z68 respectively.
This board will be futureproof for years to come but this is in the uk you will find it cheaper in the us
http://www.systo.co.uk/sabertooth-z77-90-mibi30-g0eay0k... (£174/$276)
Score
Related resources
April 4, 2012 2:12:42 PM

I went out to newegg, and did not see any z77 boards yet - looks like in the US the Z68's are all that is available (on new egg) - Sabertooth got no hits there either. I'll look around other sites to educate myself... Thanks for the tip. The $270 price point seems about right for a high end board. I spent more than that last time in getting the ASUS P5E3 Premium but that bord had features I never used, like the onboard WIFI. Mostly looking for forward looking capability that will allow me to not have to upgrade for a few years. Looks like I may need to wait a bit longer before I buy...
Score

Best solution

April 4, 2012 6:23:28 PM

http://www.costcaptain.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD...
thats the only one i could find but if you can't wait a few weeks i would recommend
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

But the second one should be sufficient and getting it would save you a lot of money that can be used elsewhere.

The benefits of of z77 over z68 may not be obvious apart from native usb3, pcie3 and additional sata3 slots and higher supported ram speeds, but none of those things especialy pcie3.0 will be replaced for at least 5 years as they are no where near saturated at the moment.

Also if you do see a z77 board before you order your motherboard than get it, some of them may seem 'cheap' but compared to the higher end z68's they are usually significantly better and value for money. The sabertooth is at the very top only the asrock fatality exceeds it. To be honest a sabertooth is a bit overkill a mobo around $180 or even below shold be perfect for your set-up.
April 4, 2012 8:11:18 PM

Thank you, I will wait a few weeks, I certainly don't need a motherboard when I don't yet have the new CPU. My old build is doing fine that old Q9550 and P5E3 with the SSD and the GX 680 GPU is likely better than 95% of the setups out ther - except for Kahuna Gamers and technophiles. I will certainly take the council on the Z77chip set.
Score
April 4, 2012 8:11:31 PM

Best answer selected by Dienekes78.
Score
April 4, 2012 8:26:00 PM

Glad to help.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
April 4, 2012 11:39:16 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!