Sign in with
Your question

2nd draft Computer build $1200

Last response: in Systems
April 21, 2011 8:17:45 AM

Hi guys,

This is my second draft of my computer build.

Approximate Purchase Date: When i get money, probably sometime in June or July

Budget Range: ~$1200-1250 after rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Homework, web surfing

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg

Country of Origin: U.S.

Parts Preferences: None really

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: eventually

Monitor Resolution: 1440 x 900, might upgrade to 1920 x 1080

Parts:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case: Haf 922

Mobo: ASRock P67 Extreme 4

Graphics Card: EVGA Nvidia GTX 570 SuperClocked

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K

CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Plus

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw (2*4GB) 1333 MHz

HDD: WD Caviar Black 1 TB

DVD Burner: ASUS DRW

Media Reader: Rosewill 40-in-1

PSU: XFX Black Edition 750W

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have an addition question. Will my RAM (G.Skill Ripjaw) interfere with my CPU cooler?

Thanks for your responses!

a c 104 B Homebuilt system
April 21, 2011 8:28:01 AM

Get 1600MHz ram it is fine with that cooler, GPU is overkill for current resolution but grate for planned.
April 21, 2011 8:32:03 AM

rolli59 said:
Get 1600MHz ram it is fine with that cooler, GPU is overkill for current resolution but grate for planned.

Thanks,

How much of a performance boost will I get with 1600MHz RAM?
Related resources
April 21, 2011 8:53:26 AM

IT is not much but since you have the I5 2500K I am presuming at some point in time you will overclock then the ram will be able to better keep up with it.
April 21, 2011 4:09:29 PM

Actually, you don't need to get faster RAM in order to overclock. In the past faster RAM helped with overclocking because you had to raise the BCLK as part of the overclocking process, which would overclock your RAM as a side effect. As a result faster RAM would allow you to get your BCLK higher before you had to start messing with RAM multipliers.

Because the i5-2500K can be overclocked via a unlocked multiplier and the BCLK on SB platforms should be left alone during overclocking you no longer need higher rated RAM.
April 21, 2011 4:19:38 PM

With this setup you NEED to go to 1920x1080! It would be a waste at 1440x900! Save those pennies son!
April 21, 2011 5:28:53 PM

Overall it looks like a very nice build, the Intel® Core™ I5 2500K and that ASRock P67 should give you a very nice set up now and into the future if you choice to overclock. I would advise you to look for a SSD in the future; they can make a big difference on boot and access times. Take a look at the Intel SSD 320 80GB should fit your needs well in the future.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
April 21, 2011 6:27:16 PM

themarin8r said:
With this setup you NEED to go to 1920x1080! It would be a waste at 1440x900! Save those pennies son!

I do plan to upgrade in the future but at the moment, I need to use the monitor that I currently have.
April 21, 2011 6:29:49 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
Overall it looks like a very nice build, the Intel® Core™ I5 2500K and that ASRock P67 should give you a very nice set up now and into the future if you choice to overclock. I would advise you to look for a SSD in the future; they can make a big difference on boot and access times. Take a look at the Intel SSD 320 80GB should fit your needs well in the future.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

I have looked into SSD's but I would like to stick to budget. $200 for a SSD is to rich for my blood at the moment.
April 22, 2011 5:57:21 AM

mortonww said:
Get this superclocked gtx 570 instead:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Comes with a $50 rebate and a free tv tuner. Even if you don't end up using the tv tuner, it's still a little cheaper.

I looked at this model and I do not like the fan system they have implemented on this card. I plan to go SLI in the future and I do not want hot air being blown onto my second card, or in general, the case.
April 22, 2011 5:59:38 AM

jprahman said:
Actually, you don't need to get faster RAM in order to overclock. In the past faster RAM helped with overclocking because you had to raise the BCLK as part of the overclocking process, which would overclock your RAM as a side effect. As a result faster RAM would allow you to get your BCLK higher before you had to start messing with RAM multipliers.

Because the i5-2500K can be overclocked via a unlocked multiplier and the BCLK on SB platforms should be left alone during overclocking you no longer need higher rated RAM.

Thanks for the information. I do not know much about overclocking, but when I put this machine together, I will look in-depth on how to safely do it.
April 22, 2011 6:10:50 AM

Longfoehammer said:
Thanks for the information. I do not know much about overclocking, but when I put this machine together, I will look in-depth on how to safely do it.

Your system will run the memory on 1333MHz as default. By activating XMP in BIOS you can set the speed on the ram to 1600MHZ regardless if you overclock CPU or not. http://www.intel.com/consumer/game/extreme-memory.htm
a b B Homebuilt system
April 22, 2011 1:54:27 PM

Xmp tends to have no regard for safe voltage levels, though. I would recommend manual adjustment.
!