Fan Header Not Working

narco

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Well, I have a Biostar TA990FXE motherboard. One of the motherboard fan headers just stopped powering the fans. I took my handy-dandy multimeter and tested the pins. It was getting a constant 6.50 volts. I checked my bios and checked all the fan settings and tried a bunch of different settings, and nothing helped. It is only one fan port, the rest of them work fine. Any suggestions of what may fix? If not i might RMA seeing how its not that old.
Thank You,
Narco

My Build:
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 @4.2ghz
(1.5v)

RAM: Wintec DDR3 4gb @1400 x1

GPU: PowerColor HD 6950@ Core: 800
Memory: 1250

MB: Biostar TA990FXE

PSU: XFX Core Edition 850w

HD: 1TB Seagate

Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT

xunicronx

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
You may have to do an RMA. But before you go through all that mess, try one more thing (you may have tried this already), try to update the Biostar motherboard. Also, do you think you have have shorted something on the board while you were testing it with your multimeter? Were you wearing an electrostatic wrist strap?

narco

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
I was wearing a electrostatic wrist strap. My motherboard bios is updated to the latest version and everything, plus, i didn't test with the multimeter until after I noticed it not working. I'm pretty sure i didn't short anything out. I guess I'll just have to RMA.

njdfan30

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012
I hada similar problen with an asus mobo...the cpu1 fan plug wouldnt work. so i unplugged power supply, plugged in to the second fan plug...it worked. powered off again, plugged back into cpu1 plug, and it worked. why this worked i will never know, but if you havent already try that and/or a cmos reset. couldnt hurt.