Need help

lookerup

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
my computer has been acting up lately and i think the cause is the cpu. the computer would start up and it would stay black and it forced me to press the restart button. how do i fix this problem?

benikens

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Well it could be your cpu but you need to determine what's the faulty component. Do you have a spare machine you can test your parts in? Also does the computer POST or is it a black screen from the get go? Do you hear any beeps when it starts, if so how many?

lookerup

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

well i hear a beep but when i restarted the computer this morning it started spamming beeps for a good 3 seconds and no i dont have another machine to test it on. the black screen happen when im about to enter windows 7 starting screen but instead it jus stops at black screen

benikens

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I can't remember the beep codes off the top of my head, but i know more then 1 is bad, and i think 3 is ram. If its possible to count them do it and look up the codes, if its in rapid succession to the point where you don't know how many beeps are then I'm not really sure. If you get past post however it seems more likely a harddrive error or something. Could be your hdd crashed or possibly some other device is causing the issue, if you can remove all unnecessary components and boot (unplug your cd/dvd player and any extra pci cards that aren't needed) if you have a spare hdd you could try using that to boot with or doing a clean install if you don't need any of the data on it. I would also double check your graphics card/ram are inserted correctly and that your harddrive is appearing correctly in the bios, while your in there also take a peak at the cpu temp see if its abnormally high at all.

I'm not really a hardware expert (In fact I'm a programmer) but hopefully someone with a little more debugging skill then me see's your post and can tell you anything I've missed.

lookerup

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

thx for help anyway