Phenom 955 heatsink problem

Moldetoh

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
I recently bought the phenom 955 and when I try to clip it onto my motherboard, only one end goes on and it seems like the other end wouldn't go on unless I pushed until I broke the board. So how do I fix this? Please I really need this to work. I have the Asus M4A87TD by the way.

Moldetoh

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
I didn't break the motherboard, but when I tried to put them both on at the same time, none of them would go on. I am considering just cutting the holes in the clips bigger. Is that a good idea?

JordoR

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Please don't cut any holes. It's very surprising to most how much pressure is required in the push pin type heatsinks to get them secured properly. I can see why you think you may break your motherboard, but I would doubt you can. The standoffs help keep it rigid.

Are you installing the heatsink in the diagonal pattern method? EX, doing top left, bottom right, top right, bottom left... or something similar.

Moldetoh

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
It is an AMD heatsink, so there are no pushpins. Right now the heatsink is hanging on by the top retention clip and the thermal paste. I should just buy the CoolerMaster Hyper TX3, hopefully an aftermarket heatsink will fit.