Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Help - Best memory for two different comps, see inside

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Rendering
Last response: in Memory
April 1, 2012 4:40:51 AM

Hello all, Looking for the best memory for these two comps.

First
-Macbook Pro ed: 3.1 (2007?), it's my understanding it can only hold 6gb in a 2-4 configuration..is this true? and whats good for it?

-Second computer
MB is an evga 132-BL-e758-a1, the computer is used for CG graphics and rendering, looking for 24GB, whats good for rendering? and whats the difference really between 1600/1333? because this MB's max is 24GB, with 6 slots is it best to get 6x4 or would like 3x8 be better and work? or is 4gb the max per slot?
Also I know rendering is mostly the processor / graphics card and its ram...but just throwing it out there in case RAM timings or types improve performance in that field at all.

Thanks!

More about : memory comps inside

April 1, 2012 5:12:58 AM

Akkah said:
Hello all, Looking for the best memory for these two comps.

First
-Macbook Pro ed: 3.1 (2007?), it's my understanding it can only hold 6gb in a 2-4 configuration..is this true? and whats good for it?

-Second computer
MB is an evga 132-BL-e758-a1, the computer is used for CG graphics and rendering, looking for 24GB, whats good for rendering? and whats the difference really between 1600/1333? because this MB's max is 24GB, with 6 slots is it best to get 6x4 or would like 3x8 be better and work? or is 4gb the max per slot?
Also I know rendering is mostly the processor / graphics card and its ram...but just throwing it out there in case RAM timings or types improve performance in that field at all.

Thanks!

Macbook Pro. Most likely 2 x 4GB DDR2 6400 SO-DIMM should work. Regular Kingston sticks are cheap and reliable. Never do mismatching sticks of RAM with dual channel machines (example 2 + 4), because it will run in single channel and you cut memory bandwidth in half. 4GB dual channel is better than 6GB single channel.

Your evga is triple channel. You need to buy 3 or 6 sticks. 8GB DDR 3 sticks are not available in unbuffered yet, so the most you can do is 6 x 4GB. Don't bother with DDR 1600 unless you are overclocking or its on sale. Otherwise 1333 is fine. Rendering is all CPU and sometimes GPU as well, but not really RAM intensive. RAM helps you work with very large files during editing and design, but not the render. Ever notice how they usually don't even bother telling you how much RAM is used when you see render benchmarks? Just what CPU and video card was used.
m
l
April 1, 2012 5:35:07 AM

Thanks Vic!

As for the Macbook part, im still concerned about the 2x4gb setup because some places say running 8gb in the macbook pro 3.1 causes kernel errors or something and makes it unstable and that 6gb is the max. Have any good sources I could look into it more? or your saying just stick with 4gb (which i have now) rather then doing a 6gb with 2gb-4gb

also any info on timing and cas latency would help, what to look for in it.

like whats Timing: 9-9-9-24-2N mean? and difference in like the 11-9-11-24(or something) stuff.
m
l
April 1, 2012 6:31:05 AM

Leave it at 4GB. Dual Channel PC6400 = 12800 memory bandwidth. With the 6GB you only get 6400 memory bandwidth. Thats not real world numbers. Real world is you drop 7-8 GB/s down to 4GB/s with 6GB RAM.

Lower numbers is better for timing, assuming Apple has programmed the board firmware to allow tighter timing.
m
l