How big a difference in cases?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Cases
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
July 21, 2011 6:07:50 AM

What is the biggest difference between cases? Obviously the fans and layout and size ,but how much do aesthetics factor in to the price of a case. I would assume the 100-200$ are only marginally better with airflow is this true compared to a good 50-100$ case.

More about : big difference cases

a b ) Power supply
July 21, 2011 9:40:34 AM

mute20 said:
What is the biggest difference between cases? Obviously the fans and layout and size ,but how much do aesthetics factor in to the price of a case. I would assume the 100-200$ are only marginally better with airflow is this true compared to a good 50-100$ case.

Not necessarily. The HAF series from coolermaster are excellent case with great airflow. I have also seen $100 cases with poor airflow.
Aesthetics are important to someone like me, I'm a modder. In my case, sometimes the blank tablet is best. Other times I go for something exotic. But I always go for quality and I don't worry too much about cost. If you're doing a budget build, it won;t make much sense to buy a $200 case. On the other hand, if you are building a gaming machine please don't try to put your overclocked CPU and $400 GPU in a micro-ATX piece o crap.

Choose a case that pleases the eye. then check reviews on sites like newegg. ensure you have the room and other needs covered. Do you need front USB 3.0 ports, or is that an unnecessary feature? Tool-less design? How about a window? Do you need a quiet PC or a real performer? Mid tower or full, or micro?
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
July 21, 2011 9:42:13 AM

We can make lots of good recommendations based on how you'll be using the machine and budget of course.
m
l
July 21, 2011 2:14:48 PM

Agree with the first post by buzznut... case selection most of the time will come down to two things.

- Preference, and budget.

Everybody has their own preference on what case looks good to them. Some like side panels and bright LED's etc... and some people just like a plain black case. Personally I prefer the plain look of the Antec Three hundred and have used it for several mid-low gaming builds. A case below $100 makes more sense for a lower budget build.

However, when I'm going with a 1500-2000 gaming build with high power consumption components, I want to invest a bit more in a good airflow case and I can fit a 200 case more easily into the budget, such as the CM HAF-X.
m
l
!