Sign in with
Your question
Solved

TV connection to CPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 15, 2011 4:46:21 AM

Hello,
currently I am having PC with motherboard Intel DG31pr and Nvidia zotac 7200GS card installed.

I want to connect my Sony 3D TV to my CPU so that I can watch contents simultaneously on monitor as well as TV. Can I just connect two together with DVI-HDMI cable? will it carry audio too?

Please reply asap

More about : connection cpu

a c 206 U Graphics card
a b x TV
February 15, 2011 1:26:33 PM

Yes, you can get video by connecting the DVI to HDMI cable, but sound won't be delivered. You can pass sound from the on-board sound card to your HDTV by connecting your speaker output to your HDTV with the typical stereo speaker wire.

Of note, if your Sony is like my Samsung, you may need to use HDMI port 1 with this config (DVI-HDMI cable and stereo wire connected) to ensure both audio and sound are output together.

Good luck!
February 16, 2011 1:25:18 AM

hey thanks for reply..
just didn't get you on 2nd soln.
to use HDMI port1 with the configuration means?

should i buy new graphic card and directly give HDMI out to HDTV?

please clarify
Related resources
a c 214 U Graphics card
February 16, 2011 1:29:44 AM

I would think the 7200gs might slow down when try to play 1080p.

I think buying a new Graphics card would be best.Something simple like a 5570 so you can get the full experience of 1080p and use of a single HDMI cable.And if you want to watch for play video games in 3D their are cards out there that let you do that.

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2011 1:45:54 AM

To add clarity, you may need to give some information.

Your TV will have a set of inputs.
HDMI is the current most user friendly input. Most modern media can use this.

The video, card, based on it's chipset probably will not have an HDMI port. It will most likely have 1 - 2 ports, at least one of which will be DVI.

You'll need something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... to make the DVI work with the HDMI. The problem is, the TV will receive NO sound. You're need an 3.5mm TRS to RCA jack (see here: http://www.performanceaudio.com/cgi/product_view.cgi?pr...) to get your audio to the TV.

To clarify what COLGeek meant, usually only the FIRST HDMI port on the TV will have alternative sound options (meaning the 2nd, 3rd, etc.. HDMI ports MUST have HDMI sound to get sound).

Basically, how TV's work is you have a number of Inputs (this is general and can vary by TV), and certain inputs will only have certain options. You probably can only use the first HDMI option because the others won't have any alternative audio input options, it can only use HDMI.

Here's an example; each input will have a number of options:

Input 1 (usually has the most options) HDMI, Composite, S-Video, and RCA (yellow, Red, White) Audio and video)

Input 2 HDMI, RCA, Composite

Input 3 RCA

Input 4 HDMI

Input 5 VGA
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2011 1:47:39 AM

purple stank said:
I would think the 7200gs might slow down when try to play 1080p.

I think buying a new Graphics card would be best.Something simple like a 5570 so you can get the full experience of 1080p and use of a single HDMI cable.And if you want to watch for play video games in 3D their are cards out there that let you do that.

I agree that this will generally be your best option. You can do it on yours but your video performance especially given this is going to be a second moniter from the sound of this, will probably be pretty lackluster.
February 16, 2011 2:34:35 AM

about My TV : It's Sony 3D bravia with 4 HDMI inputs avaialble and I don't think there is preference to 1st port only.

On 1st port one sound-system is connected
2nd one is connected with BD player
and 4th one is for now connected with HD DTH set top box.

so 3rd one is currently free....

and about new graphic card installation can u give me any suggestions?
I am not looking for expensive one cause I don't play video games.

Please reply asap.
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2011 2:58:49 AM

siddhu161 said:
about My TV : It's Sony 3D bravia with 4 HDMI inputs avaialble and I don't think there is preference to 1st port only.

On 1st port one sound-system is connected
2nd one is connected with BD player
and 4th one is for now connected with HD DTH set top box.

so 3rd one is currently free....

and about new graphic card installation can u give me any suggestions?
I am not looking for expensive one cause I don't play video games.

Please reply asap.

This can vary depending on your computer and how complex it's mounting system is. 90% of the time, it's super simply and might require the removal of 2 - 3 easy screws. Ultimately, if you can get it out, you can get the new one in. You just need to know what kind connection it uses, buy the appropriate card, remove the old one, put in the new one, add any additional plugs you might need, and go. If you're changing brands (Nvidia to ATI), you'll want to remove the drivers for you Nvidia before installing the ATI card. The 7 Series use the same driver package as the current series, so you won't have to worry about this with a new Nvidia.
February 16, 2011 3:55:35 AM

I have Viara with same 4 HDMI input and m using it with ma PC having EVGA gt220 and it is giving awesome performance. and for multi port input of tv there is no problem with that there are options in the TV to select which input to display and it gives both sound and Display.. if your current card have HDMI than there is no problem you can get bot Audio and video. if it dont than with converter u can only get video and for audio you will have to attach this cable

http://www.performanceaudio.com/cgi/product_view.cgi?pr...

but if u have money than i recommend this one which i have used

this is the GT220 which i had
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and yes you can attach two output devices at a times and can use simultaneously as i did... but DVI-HDMI wont take audio attach that cable written above for that //
February 16, 2011 8:09:42 AM

ok.
thanks all for your replies...
I will be purchasing new graphic card soon..
but can you suggest any cheap one as I do not play games I will be needing it only for movies?

and also is anything like all-in-one card availabe in market which can also be used as TV tuner card too?
plz reply....
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2011 9:49:23 AM

siddhu161 said:
ok.
thanks all for your replies...
I will be purchasing new graphic card soon..
but can you suggest any cheap one as I do not play games I will be needing it only for movies?

and also is anything like all-in-one card availabe in market which can also be used as TV tuner card too?
plz reply....

ATI was known for this back in the day, but I haven't seen an All-In-Wonder card in very long time, and I don't beleive they make them, or really any ViVo cards anymore (ViVo = Video-In, Video Out).

The good news is TV tuners for PC's are generally pretty cheap. The bad news is, they're generally a pain to make user friendly. I would google up "HTPC Guide" and do some homework on how to set up and make a good Home Theater PC (HTPC), there's a million good guides out there that can tell you a lot more effective information than these forums can.
a c 214 U Graphics card
February 16, 2011 8:07:06 PM

If you don't want to go through the hastle of a TVTuner card then just get a 5570.Their cheap and playback full 1080p.And have HDMI connections.The 5570 i posted above is still a good deal.
February 21, 2011 2:29:36 AM

hello all..
thanx a lot for all your suggestions
i purchased nvidia zotac 8400GS yesterday and now evrytthing is goin smooth

thanx all for your valuable suggestions.
February 26, 2011 5:45:39 AM

Best answer selected by siddhu161.
!