Sign in with
Your question

Dualboot win 7 32 bit and 64 bit on 1 hd

Last response: in Windows 7
January 2, 2010 4:01:59 PM

i am wanting to dual boot 32 bit Win 7 and 64 bit Win 7 on first HDD and dual boot XP 32 and Ubuntu 32 on second HDD
i have 2 640gb wd drives

*I found on Microsoft's sight that i would have to buy a second license key to run both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows 7

More about : dualboot win bit bit

January 2, 2010 5:03:24 PM

Why so many? Just use Win 7 64 bit & Ubuntu.
Win 7 gives you a few options for running 32bit Applications, like Compatibility Mode, or Windows XP Mode for some older productivity applications that will not normally run on Win 7.
Since you're using two drives, you have a couple of options for booting.
1. You can keep both drives plugged in and install both of your OS. Instaling each OS one its own hard drive. This will give you a boot menu and let you choose between which OS to load.
or
2. Unplug on drive - install your first OS - Unplug the first drive and plug in the second one and install the second OS. When choosing this option, you have to choose with HD to boot from during the system startup. This option also keeps your second OS hidden. If you just let your system go through it normal boot up, it will always choose the first boot device that you've selected.
m
l
January 2, 2010 6:30:34 PM

thanks rogue,
in the second option can i still use the extended partition on the second hd - while booted from the first?
(each hd partitioned with 32 GB's for the OS and Remainder as storage)

AMD|PH II X4 955 . ASUS M4A79XTD EVO 790X
SAPPHIRE | 100258-1GHDMI HD4850
2Gx4|GSKILL F3-12800CL9D
m
l
Related resources
!