Your question

S.M.A.R.T

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Hard Drives
  • System Restore
Last response: in Memory
April 1, 2012 12:15:53 PM

Earlier Today my hardrive suffered an "error" something called S.M.A.R.T HDD popped up all my other programs closed and this smart hdd told me I had a multitude of errors that were about to destroy my HDD. After several hours of checking I am fairly certain that its a scam. I cant find where it came from or where it downloaded to. I am only able to use my computer through safe mode and I cant find this thing under installed programs on the control panel so I cant uninstall it.

I also tried to do a System Restore but doing so just resulted in a black screen and a low pitch bleep whenever I press a key. Does anybody know how I should fix this.

More about : question

a b } Memory
April 1, 2012 12:29:46 PM

Hi coco146, this post is more appropriately tagged in the Storage forum, not memory. :) 

None the less, while this could be a virus that's infected your system, it's also possible that Windows is simply reporting SMART errors (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology). This is indicative of a HDD imminently failing.
Depending on the MFG of your HDD, you should be able to download and burn a diagnostic CD that can test the HDD without damaging data (assuming the drive is still functioning "enough"). For example Seagate has a program set called SeaTools.
If you can let us know who made your drive(s) we can guide you better.
Also, your BIOS should show SMART messages when it's POSTing, but not 100% of the time.

If no SMART errors arise after the above, then troubleshooting should probably be aimed at a virus. There are several tools you can either install, or run via USB/CD-ROM to clean the drive/system...
April 1, 2012 12:29:58 PM

SMART is there to warn you about harddrive failure, but if you think its not true you can go into the bios and disable smart. Hit delete when the motherboard bios screen comes up during power up, and find storage settings.
Related resources
a b } Memory
April 1, 2012 12:33:38 PM

Max1s said:
SMART is there to warn you about harddrive failure, but if you think its not true you can go into the bios and disable smart. Hit delete when the motherboard bios screen comes up during power up, and find storage settings.

Some HDD controllers and/or IO controllers send the flags to the OS driver, bypassing this BIOS setting.
Simple enough that it should be tried though - Because if SMART goes away after disabling, then there's your answer. :) 
April 1, 2012 12:35:41 PM

when the program that came up asked me if I wanted to fix the problems it told me that the program was just a trial version and I needed to pay for the full. Also sorry if this is in the wrong place Im not to familliar with this forum or memory/storage
a b } Memory
April 1, 2012 12:40:31 PM

coco146 said:
when the program that came up asked me if I wanted to fix the problems it told me that the program was just a trial version and I needed to pay for the full. Also sorry if this is in the wrong place Im not to familliar with this forum or memory/storage

oh, definitely mal-ware. Try downloading and running malwarebytes. Run it in safe mode.
April 1, 2012 12:59:27 PM

Ok did that it removed 5 items one of them called Rouge.fakeHDD gonna restart now and hope that helps.
April 1, 2012 1:44:17 PM

well problem solved the computer is working fine got a few problems though the right hand side of the start menu where the computer and control panel is blank apart from the link to computer. its really only a minor proble though.
!