Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte HD4650 AGP not playing HD videos!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 15, 2011 8:15:18 AM

Hello, i've purchased this card a few days ago and installed on a P4 2,8 MGz, 1,5GB DDR SDRAM with Win7 32-bit and no matter what i try, i can't make this card play HD videos, it even lags on full screen 360p ones.

I've applied the latest Catalyst 11.1 drivers but still nothing.I tried to update the BIOS through a small program that Gigabyte provides but the screen freezes when i run it and then the PC reboots or it remains freezed forever.

Just to say, this PC had a ATI 2600 Pro before and was playing HD videos with no problems at all.

Tested on KM Player, GOM player, VLC Player and YouTube videos.

Any suggestions? Gigabyte last reply was to test it on another system and if the problem remains, then return it back to the shop i bought it...

Thanks
February 15, 2011 1:35:59 PM

Hello and thanks for your reply.

Yes i've applied the 11.1 AGP Hotfix drivers and yes these drivers were applied over the Windows generic drivers after i've uninstalled the ones found on the CD that came with my card.
Related resources
February 15, 2011 1:45:42 PM

OK, go through the driversweeper removal process and try again.

By the way, you shouldn't need a BIOS update. However, were you trying the Windows application method or the DOS disk method? What make/model of motherboard are you using?

Good luck!
February 15, 2011 3:32:51 PM

I've cleaned all previous leftovers with Driver Sweeper, installed the 11.1 Hotfix drivers but nothing changed at all.

I want to add at this point that when i install the new drivers, desktop colors seem a bit too edgy and the contrast doesn't seem right.

As for VGA @BIOS flashing tool, i tried the Windows application method.

Motherboard model : Asus P4C800-E Deluxe. Power Supply Zalman 400W.

Thanks again
February 15, 2011 4:27:32 PM

Yep, thats the model of GPU i'm using. GV-R465D2-1GI / Ati Radeon HD4650 AGP GDDR2

I was directed by Gigabyte's Tech Support after i've turned to them first for instructions on how to setup my GPU to play HD videos.

This was the link they gave me :

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/Utility.aspx?...

I assume that the first tool of the above link is the flashing tool (that never worked for me, PC freezes etc.) while they also gave me the link that you posted above of the new firmware.
February 15, 2011 4:28:59 PM

Understood. Have you tried file from the link I sent yet?
!