Sign in with
Your question

Just looking for seal of approval and possible issues

Last response: in Systems
April 21, 2011 7:38:41 PM

this is my first build, its a gaming machine and im looking to pull the trigger tonight and here are the parts im planning on using;

Intel Core i7 2600k 3.4GHz Socket 1155 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Asus P8P67 Pro R3 P67 Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard

Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Memory Kit CL9 1.65V

Gigabyte GTX 560 OC 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card

Corsair 750W HX Modular PSU

Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced Case

Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache

Samsung SH-S223L 22x DVD±RW DL & RAM with LightScribe SATA Optical Drive - Retail Box Black

Cisco Linksys WUSB600N Dual-Band Wireless-N300 USB Adapter

Total Cost: £950 shipped for saturday.

As I said looking to buy tonight so just thought id gather opinions, my preferences for the mobo is set, that is the board i want for its pcie layout so that is pretty much set, 950 is my absolute limit and i want to use ebuyer.com as my only website simply because its easier to buy from one place.

as for custom cpu cooler, dont think ill bother this time round, that can be an upgrade later as i plan to add a second gpu to this as well as a second hdd for raid 0 and an ssd for boot drive, thats all for now. No operating system or screen is required.

Look forward to any advice.

More about : seal approval issues

April 22, 2011 2:33:58 AM

You should really drop to 1.5v RAM. The site you listed only had 2 choices, both £15 more, but its (a) lower voltage (which the SandyBridge likes), and (b) slightly higher quality RAM:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/248844

If you're not getting an aftermarket CPU cooler you wont be doing any significant OC, so you might consider losing the 'K' version which would save some money.
April 22, 2011 7:40:22 AM

i agree with the ram thanks for that heads up, as for the k series, i wont be doing any overclocking YET, i want to keep it open to me in the future and just slap on a thermaltake frio or some other beast a few years down the line to keep my system steaming away.
Related resources
April 22, 2011 1:05:25 PM

I just put together an i5-2500k build and agree that the unlocked version is worth it IF you have the money to spend, I was just worried about pushing you over budget.

Also if its a gaming machine, which I might not have read the first time, you could easily consider dropping to the i5-2500k which would save a hundred bucks in the US. Practically no games perform better with a hyper threaded CPU (what the 'i7' designates) over a four physical core CPU, which the i5 is, and some even drop in performance (although again, not noticeably), because they interact poorly with the logic cores.

Moral of the story, you're not really hamstringing yourself at all by buying an i5-2500k unless you're doing photo/video editing or super serious about folding.
April 22, 2011 1:14:45 PM

I do a good deal of CAD work on my system so i would see the benefits in render times on my large ish (40 piece +) assemblies. but yeah i agree with you on the ram, if i were to overcklock it down the line, the with the 1.5v ram does that still give me up to 1.65v as headroom or is it 1.5 and only 1.5 volts?
April 22, 2011 1:25:28 PM

Heh, I don't really want to answer that. Will more than 1.5v automatically fry your rig? No. But you do rapidly get risky when you push RAM voltage on a Sandy Bridge rig, I would consult the experts in the OC forum when you get to that point.
April 22, 2011 1:26:31 PM

thats fair enough :L not like i could hold you responsible to be fair :L
!