Sign in with
Your question

Low frame rate with a GTX 560 ti

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 15, 2011 10:51:59 AM

Hey guys, I've recently purchased a Gigabyte GTX 560 ti and and am having frame rate issues.
I mostly play SC2 and cop initial fates of 60-70 FPS on ultra settings.
Once the game kicks on though and becomes a little more intense it frequently drops as low as 10-20 FPS and doesn't seem to budge no matter how much I decrease the settings.
My current PC specs stand at:
Intel core 2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66Ghz
Gigabyte GTX 560 ti
2x 2gb memory 800Mhz DDR2 (dual channel)
gigabyte EP31-DSL mobo
Windows 7
After installing SC2 it also failed to automatically detect graphics setting.
And up to just recently I was running a MSI Nvidia 9600GT getting probably better performance.
Any thoughts of ideas would be great.
Thanks.

More about : low frame rate gtx 560

a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2011 11:07:26 AM

One or two things to try:

Overclock your CPU, that thing will easily go to 3.5Ghz; when a lot of units are on screen at once, they all require processing, so it may be your CPU struggling.

Use Driver Sweeper to wipe the graphics drivers and do a fresh re-install and see if that helps.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2011 2:12:21 PM

Its got to the problem with the CPU . The Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHz isn't quite enough to power in a 560 GTX Ti. You may have to overclock it, as the person above me told you to do so. The CPU, is and might very well be bottle necking the GPU ( not sure though ). Try and bring up the task manager, and see if the CPU performance is 100% or going over that limit ( 90 to 100 ).
If it does, you can say that it is bottle necking the GPU.
m
l
Related resources
a c 144 U Graphics card
February 16, 2011 12:46:11 AM

cleandog said:
Hey guys, I've recently purchased a Gigabyte GTX 560 ti and and am having frame rate issues.
Once the game kicks on though and becomes a little more intense it frequently drops as low as 10-20 FPS and doesn't seem to budge no matter how much I decrease the settings.
Gigabyte GTX 560 ti
gigabyte EP31-DSL mobo
Windows 7
And up to just recently I was running a MSI Nvidia 9600GT getting probably better performance.
Thanks.

when there is more stuff in the screen the frame rates surely drop. that is common for games such as star craft. other things is star craft is more demanding on cpu side rather than gpu. but i think your problem lies on your cpu so you need to overclock that thing a bit. in my case i got worse performance in batman AA after upgrading my GTS250 to GTX460. overclocked my E7500 (2.93Ghz) to 3.6 and everything is back to normal again.
m
l
February 16, 2011 9:45:38 AM

I ended up overclocking my cpu from 2.66 all the way up to 3.6Ghz and got SC2 running from 60-100 FPS with no issues as of yet.
Thanks for the advice guys, things are all good again.
m
l
a c 98 U Graphics card
February 20, 2011 1:58:23 AM

cleandog said:
Gigabyte GTX 560 ti
gigabyte EP31-DSL mobo
Windows 7
Thanks.

instal an older graphics driver. whenever i have crashing or graphics issues with games i usually have to change drivers.
m
l
a c 144 U Graphics card
February 20, 2011 10:12:14 AM

woltej1 said:
instal an older graphics driver. whenever i have crashing or graphics issues with games i usually have to change drivers.

that is another solution. but i bet there isn't much driver to try since the card just came out at the end of january. btw he already fixed the problem by overclocking his cpu so i don't think it was driver related problem.
m
l
!