Sign in with
Your question

Very strange RAM problem

Last response: in Memory
April 1, 2012 2:25:44 PM

so earlier this year i purchased another 1GB pc-4200 DDR2 RAM stick from mrmemory.com to install into my system which already has 1gb RAM inside. But Upon installing i noticed that My computer would only recognize the other RAM stick after a reboot and will only recognize 512/1GB memory of the new chip, 1534MB totally installed, when it should be 2GB. I am 100% certain the two RAM sticks are 1GB each.

My motherboard is the foxconn p4m800p7mb-rs2h

If the new stick is inside the computer alone it will beep and not turn on. if the old ram stick is inside the computer it will boot. if the old ram stick is in slot 1 and the new one is in slot 2 it will boot but only recognize 1GB ram THEN i reboot and 1534mb of ram is recognized.

This problem has baffled me for many months

Ive flashed my motherboard to the newest update as instructed.

any help that can be given will be more than brilliant!

thanks in advance.

extra information: when using CPU'Z to check the memory the older ram ( 1st slot) comes up with allot of information, but the new ram ( slot 2) has no information displayed.

More about : strange ram problem

April 1, 2012 2:50:25 PM

If the computer won't boot with the first stick, there is a problem with it. Either the stick is defective or there is some type of compatibility problem.
Are both the sticks the same speed? The 2nd stick might be of a speed that the motherboard does not support.
April 1, 2012 3:34:15 PM

Max1s said:
If the computer won't boot with the first stick, there is a problem with it. Either the stick is defective or there is some type of compatibility problem.
Are both the sticks the same speed? The 2nd stick might be of a speed that the motherboard does not support.

thank you very much for your reply however i am 100% sure it IS in fact compatible. mrmemory has a system which allows you to chose the correct ram depending on the motherboard you own, i had chosen the correct one. also talking to there sales team i was assured its 100% compatible.

the old ram is 533Mhz and the new ( 2nd ram ) is two hundred and something MHz.

the motherboard detects the second RAM stick after the 2nd reboot but only at half capacity, so i assume this means its compatible?

Both RAM sticks are kingston
Related resources
April 1, 2012 6:18:44 PM

here are some pictures of what CPUz shows

a b } Memory
April 1, 2012 6:40:10 PM

name and model of the new patriot memory stick
April 1, 2012 9:01:24 PM

scout_03 said:
name and model of the new patriot memory stick

those details physically shown on the RAM stick are as followed:

1024MB UNB DDRII-533 cl4
pw201691441139

no information is shown on the computer, as it simply will not recognise its existance other than its 512MB even tho its 1024MB.
April 1, 2012 10:09:02 PM

Your stick should be compatible but as said above, if it doesn't get through POST with *only* the new stick installed *in the proper slot* then it is probably a bad stick.
April 2, 2012 12:48:52 AM

larkspur said:
Your stick should be compatible but as said above, if it doesn't get through POST with *only* the new stick installed *in the proper slot* then it is probably a bad stick.

well this is where it gets EVEN MORE bizarre, while i was trying to fix the problem again before, i noticed that the new RAM stick in question will become recognized on its own when the machine has been restarted THREE times.

i think it may just be time to accept that sometimes technology for unknown reasons just doesn't work as its suppose to.
a b } Memory
April 2, 2012 1:04:40 AM

dont take any chance rma that memory stick to avoid further issue with your system also been looking on board user manual max could handle is 2 gig so you could get 2 1 gig stick
April 2, 2012 1:21:12 AM

I notice also that your motherboard has integrated graphics. you might check that some of your ram is not allocated to this.
April 2, 2012 1:45:15 AM

scout_03 said:
dont take any chance rma that memory stick to avoid further issue with your system also been looking on board user manual max could handle is 2 gig so you could get 2 1 gig stick

thats just the problem, they're both 1GB sticks, yet its only recognising 512 of one of the 1GB sticks
April 2, 2012 1:46:20 AM

kelthic said:
I notice also that your motherboard has integrated graphics. you might check that some of your ram is not allocated to this.

onboards only use 64MB RAM and its disabled
a b } Memory
April 2, 2012 1:47:31 AM

then rma that stick is defectivethere is no way you could have it work on 1 gig
!