Sign in with
Your question

After cpu reseat now pc shuts off after 2 mins

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 21, 2011 9:31:00 AM

So I took out my very dusty intel stock fan, cleaned the crap out of it, took out the q8300 yorkfield chip, cleaned the old paste from the heatsink and the chip, replaced the paste on both (zalman, w nail-polish brush that comes w/ bottle) and reattached the fan.

Ran the pc, booted up fine, switched users and went to look at coretemp.. the numbers were nonsense, -19c, -0c etc.. and they all had (!) and (?) next to them, and were written in red.

Didn't get much time to look because the PC shut off right then, and I haven't got the guts to turn it back on without a plan of attack.

What are the reasons this could happen? Is there a chance I fried the cpu by touching the little gold pins (barely, if at all, as i was very careful) or can i rule that out? Is it usually/most likely something about the heatsink fan not being on right? It seemed quite snug, but I don't know as this is my first experience with this stock cooler..

Also I bought a masscool aftermarket cooler, but i wasn't going to use it unless i had to as it requires i remove the motherboard...

I didn't wait for the paste to "dry" or anything as it seems grease based anyway and i don't think it really dries anyway, right?

Hoping for good newa as i truly love this pc and won't have $ for replacing big parts for several more weeks.

Big thanks to you all again for the help.

More about : cpu reseat shuts mins

a b à CPUs
July 21, 2011 10:33:37 AM

i would say either you didnt put the cpu in properly or your heatsinks not on right or did you disconnect the cpu fan and forget to plug it back in?
m
l
July 21, 2011 10:46:51 AM

Re-seat it again or you can try to boot up. Like he said make sure it is installed properly.
m
l
July 21, 2011 11:56:09 AM

Make sure you have seated the CPU correctly, and the locking pins/fan cable on the CPU cooler are locked/plugged in correctly.

Also, don't use too much TIM-remember, a rice grain is sufficient.

In your BIOS, make sure the CPU fan option is selected to Enabled.

Good luck.
m
l
!