Solved

Should I build a new rig in June or December

Hi everybody,

I am going to build a new PC with a budget of $1100. Should I just build it soon or should I wait until the end of the year. Any big leap of technology worth for the six-months waiting?

Thank you.
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about should build june december
  1. Best answer
    With the 2500k and Rev. B3/ P67 motherboards out, and the 6950 hovering at $250, I see no real advantage to waiting to see what performance AMD might offer 4-8 months down the road.
  2. mdd1963,

    Thank you for your reply. 2500k and 6950 are my choices now. What about Intel itself? After the sand bridge, does it schedule to ship out new products with different technology in the coming 6 months?
  3. Best answer selected by goodgirls.
  4. There is a new flagship chipset (Z68, quad channel mem) /and new cpu (SandyBridge-E) format (6 and 8 core cpus, socket 2011) coming out soon, perhaps next mopnth; however, I don't expect it to drastically outperform socket 1155 on a 'clock for clock' basis, save for perhaps in very mem bandwidth sensitive benhmarks. Games, it will probably give the new socket a slight but insignificant edge.

    However, I'd expect the new CPUs to be priced at $500/$750/$999 when they arrive, with mainboards likely at $250-$350, making them a cost prohibitive methods to gaining 2 frames/sec during high res gaming.
  5. mdd1963 said:
    There is a new flagship chipset (Z68, quad channel mem) /and new cpu (SandyBridge-E) format (6 and 8 core cpus, socket 2011) coming out soon, perhaps next mopnth; however, I don't expect it to drastically outperform socket 1155 on a 'clock for clock' basis, save for perhaps in very mem bandwidth sensitive benhmarks. Games, it will probably give the new socket a slight but insignificant edge.

    However, I'd expect the new CPUs to be priced at $500/$750/$999 when they arrive, with mainboards likely at $250-$350, making them a cost prohibitive methods to gaining 2 frames/sec during high res gaming.



    Thank you very much for your info. But my budget is only $1100 for the total system, so $500 for a CPU is not going to work for me.

    I planed to build a PC around June when I find out the performance of Bulldozer. But after reading today's article, my question raise again. Should I just build one in June with 2500k (or Bulldozer) and 6950, or should I wait until the end of the year? I don't have new build often; my current 4-year-old build is a Core 2 duo + 8800GT. It's really hard for me to make this decision.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems Product