Display problem with ATI5650 and Samsung P2770HD

sapa0604

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
Greetings,

I just bought Samsung SyncMaster P2770HD. I am using a laptop, ACER 5942G with ATI5650 Graphic Card.

The problem is when connecting monitor using the HDMI port.
The picture quality is not so good when on 1920x1080 resolution. The quality is ok when using 1680x1050 resolution.

VGA output works perfectly on all resolutions, but its funny I cant normally use HDMI. I was wondering if someone had a similar problem, or a solution.

Thanks in advanced for your help.

PS.

Its also interesting that while i was creating screenshots of both resolutions.. they appear to look the same although they are not. A monitor problem?

https://picasaweb.google.com/sapa0604/SAMSUNGALBUM#

You know, I have a similar issue when using HDMI to connect video from my ATI card to my Samsung P2770FH. When I connect using HDMI, even though the resolution shows 1920x1080, the windows desktop shows up smaller with an inch black border around the desktop. Some suggest you use the overscan/underscan slider to correct this, though, I've tried it and it results in blurry fonts and other image qualilty issues. I would also like to know if there is a real solution out there.

I don't use sound through my video card so it's not really an issue for me to connect with the DVI cable, though it makes me think something is not quite right with the HDMI connection on the card or to this type of monitor. Good question.

sapa0604

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011

Hy ubercake,

I just tried connecting my laptop to another monitor via HDMI. It is a Dell 3008WFP. Everything works fine.

So it comes to conclusion it is something wrong with monitor showing picture via HDMI (on max resolution)

But I am still interested why, and how can it be fixed.

Its still interesting that any reviewing site did not mention such problems with this monitor.

Ubercake, can you connect your monitor to another, perhaps a non-ATI device to see if it works fine? (My Dell Latitude has Display Port over HDMI :/ )

Greetings

minitron815

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
My AMD card for my MCPC also has this problem on my 60" Mitsubishi; I have to adjust the screen format to shrink it a bit at 1080p.

Lesson of the day: go with nvidia.

Recycledname

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
Hello,

I have the same video card, similar monitor (SyncMaster b2430). I bought a hdmi cable to have a better quality picture. Then came home and hocked it up and ended up disappointed of the bad quality similar to your description. Then of course I searched for a post to solve the problem. I had no luck and gave up for some time.

Then came a time when I was haunted by the hdmi cable I payed 30eur for just sitting there, so that was it and again came the searching process. No luck, again... So I went back to the computer and checked the settings in the ati control Panel. And then I came across the possibility that the problem might be the monitor, so well yes I checked all the settings there and eureka there it was PC/AV mode and it was AV. Switching to PC fixed the problem, but the quality was still a Little bad and the source of that was the sharpens on the monitor being set to 100, set it to 60 and the quality was well, as advertised, HD.

I never did post my computer problems, just searched and even if I found out the answer on my own I never did reply.
So the Honorable thing to do was to post my solution.

So, to sum it all up. Go to your monitor and press Menu>>>settings&reset>>>(scroll down) PC&AV mode>>>PC
After that if (at least in my case) lower your sharpness (monitor).

Im sorry for the long post, but as I said this was my first ever reply at any forum, so the dramatic approach seamed natural. :)

Good luck I hope this helped and if the settings on your monitor are different than mine I hope they are not much since we have a similar monitor.

nandoe

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Hi Recycledname, you just saved my day. Thank you!

Keywords: Samsung Syncmaster P2770 bureaublad te groot zwarte randen

neelyrock

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
I was having similar issues with my P2770HD - black border around the screen and fuzzy looking fonts. I looked at all kinds of settings both in the menu options for the monitor and for my AMD Radeon HD 7700M series card without success. Finally I started experimenting with the resolution and when I set the P2770HD to 1680 x 1050 it fit perfect and looks beautiful! HTH...

medievalknight

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Just set the monitor like this: "Menu" >> "Settings & Reset" >> "PC & AV Mode" and set it to "PC"
Now go to the AMD VISION Engine Control Center. On the left menu go to: "My Digital Flat-Panels" >> "Scaling Options(Digital Flat-Panel)" and set "Underscan/Overscan" to "0%".
That's it... Full resolution with sharp image. Hope it helps everyone.

bob_hemolack

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013

The SyncMaster p2770HD doesn't have a "Settings & Reset" option under the menu. Has anyone been able to get this working on the p2770HD?

bob_hemolack

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013
I found a solution on the SyncMaster p2770HD. If you go to "Menu" => "Source List" and choose "Edit Name" you can name the HDMI port as PC or DVI-PC, which apparently does that magic thing for the HDMI / PC interface and makes everything work.

medievalknight

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

My bad, my monitor model is P2770 without the HD. But anyway, it seems you found the option on yours. :)

Fang Fire

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013

You're awesome, it really works !

flynempire

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2013
Hello I am new here and so glad I found this forum! I just followed what bob_hemolack posted and yes I can confirm it indeed works!

Thank you so much!!

For anyone that has the Syncmaster p2770hd and has the hdmi problem please follow bob_hemolack instructions to the tee and you will resolve the issue. I can just about guarantee it but with tech you never know what can occur.

Apparently this monitor thinks HDMI is thru a TV and not your PC by default and so it performs an overscan and causes this problem. When you edit the name all goes to normal.

alarmcss123

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
AHA! I had the same problem for a long time tried on a 7970, 270x and now my new 280x. i gave up on it and used DVI BUT i found the SOLUTION!

Go into the menu on your monitor and go into "SETUP&RESET" Then go down till you find "PC/AV Mode and change it to "PC"

Hope this works for all of you! It worked perfectly for me!