AMD's new ace

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
100738049-260x260-0-0_Gillette+Gillette+Fusion+Phenom+Power+Razor+with+P.jpg

With the recent merger between AMD and Gilette, a new product has been born from the company which wants to tell you more CPU cores means better performance and the company which wants to tell you the more blades in the shaver the better called the AMD-Gilette Fusion Phenom.

The-Future-Is-Fusion.jpg

AMD and Gilette's new APU takes the best components of AMD's micropressor line and Gilette's shavers to create something exceeedingly cool.

phenom_l.jpg

Combining AMD's Fusion with it's legendary AMD Phenom, Gilette somehow created a men's shaver. Harnessing the excessive TDP generated from having a Phenom II X6 and a HD 6990, this shaver simply burns off your whiskers for a close and comfortable shave whilst giving you a high definition of pain.

So far we've been able to score a few snaps of this elusive APU thanks to Gilette.com, which apparently is far less adept at hiding information than Sony's PSN network. How these shavers will fare against Intel's new Hyperthreaded "Sandy Beard" processors remains to be seen. Intel's new shavers utilise Hyperthreading, which lets the shaver hypotheticially trim your beard with virtual blades.

When asked about how AMD-Gillette intends to compete with the techology, John Fruehe from AMD's server division told our reporter "We intend to fight Intel with real shaving blades, not just hypothetical ones... hyperthreading just doesn't shave well on multi-beard applications". AMD has yet to announce the pricing of the AMD-Gilette Phenom Fusion, but analyst groups predict it will undercut Intel corp's "Sandy Beard" shaver line.

Intel's responese

Article by amdfangirl :D
Please note that I am not responsible for any spelling mistakes, anything historically or factually inaccurate or fire-breathing dragons under your bed. :hello:

My wife has one ... she is pretty happy with it.

Intel isn't currently in this space .... I believe they consider it a bit of a niche market.

:)

P.S. Watch out for the early B1 stepping model which is prone to slip in your hand and shaves a bit slower though ... these have a zero on the bar code.

You can get at least 10 shaves out of these so they are a good bang for your buck.

heh heh ... nice one AFG !!

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Gotta watch out for Intel Sandy Beard mate, I heard that Santa's getting one for Christmas.

I will admit they are a bit scarce at the moment tho. Kinda like trying to find an Intel Atom in a tablet.

Lollage commenced as soon as I saw the gillette pack
btw Reynod, theres couple of workarounds for the B1's mate,
one is duct tape over the grip portion of the handle (be careful not to tape over any of the bladed area as this will severely throttle shaving performance)
the other is a bit more involving, take a sharp knife/scalpel and trace it lightly in a pattern mirroring the factory supplied 'grip', go slowly as you dont want to rush it and mess up a new Razor costing $$$
but go over the lines maybe twenty,thirty time and it creates a kind of dip/bump effect, which the flariovangular properties of your fingertip can mould to, I read one report of grip stability being increased 60% on an (otherwise standard) stock model B1, cant seem to find the link though :(
nice one Amdfangirl :)
Moto

^8Blade units in the marketplace are a way off yet man,
testings not even on beta yet
plus I'm still waiting on Katana coming out, Noi hamma dijo na or 'The Mans shave' will be awesome, if it ever gets released :S
Moto

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

razor_mooreslaw.gif

It's the multi-bladed era now, it's more energy efficient to have more blades than to have one single-blade shaver at a high shaving clock speed.

^That graphs based on Wilkinsons law, which is widely regarded as outmoded and pointless in these modern days of multi-blade technology,
**Edit, yes it is better/more efficient to have multiple blades, but Wilkinsons law works on the efficiency of one blade, then multiplies that by the number of blades,
ignoring the realworld effects of nullspots and bladeweave created by mutiple blades and the required mounting points,
Razors, like so many other things in this modern world, will start running into diminishing returns after a point, its not just bigger numbers that matter anymore
:p
Moto

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Intel has responded to our latest article "AMD's new Ace", stating that although their Sandy Beard lineup does not feature real blades, their Solid State Disk lineup is far more suitable for actual shaving.
"Our SSD lineup is far better at shaving because it supports TRIM techology, currently AMD-Gilette can't match that with their Fusion Phenom shavers".
Most notably, Intel's solid state drives allow storage of facial hair in 40GB, 80GB, 160GB and 480GB capacities, storing excess facial hair inside NAND chips.
How the shaver market will turn out is anyone's guess at this stage, as AMD is still yet to release their Fusion Phenom shavers.

Shouldn't that be "a bit of a nicked market"?? [:thegreatgrapeape]

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009

From what I gather from this image, I assume my Gillette mach 3 is far inferior to these new "Sandy Beard", SSD, and Phenom Fusion whatever they have these days...
My trusted Gillette mach 3 lasts approximately 2 weeks of heavy usage. If these "new" blades can match the performance of my old ones... I'm highly interested.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
It depends, not all beards are multi-threaded. If you encode video on your beard, you might want to consider multi-blade shavers but if you're gaming, 3 blades seems to be the optimium configuration.

Does that figure take crumb retention into account?

kg4icg

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Can either handle 2 month's worth of growth without bogging down and slowing system to the point where I'm in a Crysis state of mind, or should I wait for the elctric version with the mini nuclear reactor?