6970, crysis bad performance?

lindseyhunt1090

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
hello again. so i just upgraded my computer from a 6870 to a 6970.. and let me tell you.. it didnt make a difference. when im watching benchmarks for the card people are getting average framerate in crysis higher then my max framerate.. what gives. im playing on 1080p, max settings, no vsync, 2x aa. my catalyst is all switch to performance. im running 11.1 driver.. my card is even overclocked to 950mhz.. when i play crysis my framerate is in the 20s... what is my bottleneck.. my ram? my mobo?

Motherboard - msi 870a - g54
ram - corsair xm3 2x2 1333mhz
videa card - saphire 6970 950mhz core, 1450mhz memory, 1.22 volts
cpu - amd 1090t oc to 4ghz 1.44 volts, NB 2400 mhz
PSU - coolmaster silent pro 850 watts

i just dont get it.. why is everyones framerate double mine wile playing on the exact same settings?

^ I think you mean 10.5...

OP: First off set Catalyst to defaults (Use Application Settings) for everything. Set AA to MSAA not SSAA. Set Catalyst AI to Advanced.

Make sure you installed the Catalyst Crossfire Profiles

And I would also maybe try 10.11 or earlier drivers but with the newest crossfire profiles.

lindseyhunt1090

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010

everything is set to the lowest spec. catalyst AI is set to performance which is the lowest setting. i dont have advanced?.... why do i need the catalyst crossfire profiles? im running a single 6970?

im downloading 11.2 now. see if that helps

lindseyhunt1090

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010

no. but i figure sence i have a 1090t at 4ghz and 4 gigs of ram. with the same video card shouldnt it be somewhat close.? i updated my driver to 11.2 and it helped a bit.. but levels in crysis where its really dark and im in combat.. im getting like 19 fps lol. untill i look away then its in the 30s. its awful. i tried to flash my bios to an asus one and it made it way worse lol. so i just switch the bios from setting on to 2 to resit it back to the saphire bios. ugh. i hate this card or what ever is making it shittty lol.

My advice, run other benchmarks. Run 3DMark 11, 3DMark Vantage, RE5 demo bench, Alien Vs Predator bench, STALKER bench, Dirt 2 bench etc etc.

Crysis might just be effed. For all I know it's not updated or it's a broken pirated version... so try other (free) benchmarks and see if you can get decent results.

Also make sure you have your motherboard's BIOS updated to the right version, maybe you also need to update your chipset drivers.

lindseyhunt1090

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010

ill try updating my bios and chipset.. see if that helps.. its a legit copy. and its updated. i had a pirate version of it before but when out and got it because i thought it could be the problem. pirate version vs real copy does not make a difference in performance.

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
This is a quick stab in the dark but try downloading the full DX10 installer or even better install Direct X from the Crysis DVD. I had a real problem with framrates a while ago and it turned out I had installed some other games and it had altered the DX which Crysis didn't like. I reinstalled it from the disc and it ran much better.

lindseyhunt1090

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010

i just re installed the game. so direct x was installed right from crysis about a hour ago lol.. same thing.. when its light out and theres no action it runs in the 40s.. but dark and action... its like 15 lol.. maybe i have a bunk card lol..

you think getting a better mobo would do anything at all? i have an 870 chipset and my mobo is a msi 870a-g54. its bad lol. upgrading to a asus crosshair with a 890fx do anything at all?

lindseyhunt1090

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
hmm soo.. wierd.. sence people were saying its a cpu bottle neck i decided to play with some settings in the bios.. i overclocked my cpu another 200 mhz. so 4.2 also overclocked my northbridge from 2000mhz to 2800mnz.

it made a big difference. its actually playable. framerate still peaks around 45fps but doesnt dip into the teans anymore. barly drops to 20s at all. its usually in the high 30s to 40s..

does this make sence at all lol?

im going to get a crosshair IV and overclock the *** out of my cpu and northbridge. also some faster ram so its easier to tune.. im pretty sure it is the cpu holding this card back..

so what does this mean? if i get another gpu and run crossfire 6970s its not going to be that much better? some poeple are reporting 90% gains on some games.