Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help me choosing my cpu

Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 21, 2011 2:08:05 PM

intel i5 2500,ASUS P8H67-V,corsair 4gb 1333mhz,xfx ati 6950 2gb.corsair 600watts psu and cooler master elite 430..im confused what to buy if i buy a p67 chipset and a k series processor,, i cannot buy a ati 6950 as it costs more im not a overclocker coz im scared of overclocking as it may damage my cpu...is p67 chipset important,,,, if important i wanted to buy a asus p8p67 pro..pls help me for gaming ,,,is mobo is very important ..i will use only single graphic card..will a 600w psu is enough for this graphic card...on ati site it says 500w or greater with two 75w 6pin connector will this two six pin 75w connector comes with a standard corsair 600 w psu..

More about : choosing cpu

July 21, 2011 11:25:19 PM

vishalaestro said:
intel i5 2500,ASUS P8H67-V,corsair 4gb 1333mhz,xfx ati 6950 2gb.corsair 600watts psu and cooler master elite 430..im confused what to buy if i buy a p67 chipset and a k series processor,, i cannot buy a ati 6950 as it costs more im not a overclocker coz im scared of overclocking as it may damage my cpu...is p67 chipset important,,,, if important i wanted to buy a asus p8p67 pro..pls help me for gaming ,,,is mobo is very important ..i will use only single graphic card..will a 600w psu is enough for this graphic card...on ati site it says 500w or greater with two 75w 6pin connector will this two six pin 75w connector comes with a standard corsair 600 w psu..

You need to get past ur OC fears. It is safe and efficient and proven
m
0
l
July 21, 2011 11:38:57 PM

k series is specifically made for overclocking, go with a Z68 and the 2500k
m
0
l
Related resources
July 21, 2011 11:44:59 PM

tokencode said:
k series is specifically made for overclocking, go with a Z68 and the 2500k

Or u can reassure him that oc is safe
m
0
l
July 22, 2011 6:22:57 AM

P67 > Z68 IMHO, at least for now. Main advantage of Z68 is the additional PCIe lane and probably slightly better IO options ? You could get a higher quality P67 board, a chipset proven to be a better overclocker than the Z68 (if only marginally). You will get a higher quality board for the money if you go P67. I notice a trend for a lot of people to calculate newer = better, when in reality factoring in price, features and real world performance against what you actually need, it is not always the case.
m
0
l
July 22, 2011 6:23:51 PM

honestly, they've made overclocking extremely user friendly, other then temperatures theres virtually nothing to be afraid of...alot of newer motherboards have built in features that reset your CMOS if your overclock is extremely unstable. in fact alot of motherboards (certain asus/msi ones are the ones i can think off the top of my head) have built in auto oc programs where u dont even need to do anything other then watch ur temperatures. i used to hate overclocking because i had the same fear, now i try to oc anything i get my hands on (not literally...but im sure you get the point)
m
0
l
a c 188 à CPUs
July 22, 2011 6:52:47 PM

Yes for the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K we have worked to make it as easy as possible to overclock this processor and get great results out of it. As long as you match the Intel Core i5-2500K up with a P67 or a Z68 board you will have an easy road to upgrade and getting great results from it. Now the Intel Core i5-2500K does come with a HSF (heatsink/fan) that will work fine at stock speeds but if you do overclock it make sure that you pick up a good 3rd party HSF to go with it.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
0
l
July 22, 2011 6:54:38 PM

kryptonite666 said:
honestly, they've made overclocking extremely user friendly, other then temperatures theres virtually nothing to be afraid of...alot of newer motherboards have built in features that reset your CMOS if your overclock is extremely unstable. in fact alot of motherboards (certain asus/msi ones are the ones i can think off the top of my head) have built in auto oc programs where u dont even need to do anything other then watch ur temperatures. i used to hate overclocking because i had the same fear, now i try to oc anything i get my hands on (not literally...but im sure you get the point)

Exactly my point, not to mention oc actually saves money in a lot of cases. Also you can easily set limits so that if something goes unstable it will return to normal. Lets put it this way, oc ur cpu/whatever else is safer for it then you are driving a car.
m
0
l
July 22, 2011 6:55:59 PM

so sir im using coller master hyper 212 plus fan shall i overclock it easily to 4 ghz atleast
m
0
l
July 22, 2011 8:22:18 PM

hyper 212 is a good aftermarket cooler, its cheap and it works, you should easily make 4ghz, nearly effortlessly actually, as i said just watch the temperatures =) but with the way the SB processors were made you shouldn't have to worry about temps anyways :p 

@Geis yeah, i remember squeezin the last lil bit out of my p4 3ghz before i decided it was time to upgrade, i had it runnin @ 4.2ghz lol but it was still the bottleneck of all my components, so i found a cheap Q6600 and went with that (i had the socket 775 P4) difference was night and day =P i actually used to be an amd fan until i got my c2q

back on topic, vishalaestro yeah your fine =) if you aren't exactly sure about overclocking you can also take a look at how other people overclocked their i5 2500's oh, by the way, if your only getting the i5 2500, i highly recommend spending the extra $20-$30 and getting the i5 2500k (the unlocked multiplier will make it that much easier for you) just figure'd i'd mention that because on ur original post it's just i5 2500

Edit: also, on ur original post you said you're thinking of getting an H67 motherboard, the H67 motherboard's were mostly made for the benefits of the SB's onboard video capabilities, if you're getting a discrete graphics card, you should either get a P67 or Z68 motherboard, the P67 and Z68 allow the benefit of using the 2500k to its full overclocking potential
m
0
l
!