Can my PC run Modern Warefare 2 with HD Intel graphics?

DustinS

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
Can i run modern warefare 2 with these specifications?

Features
Intel Core i5-480M Processor (2.66GHz, 3MB L3 cache)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
15.6" diagonal high-definition HP BrightView widescreen LED display (1366 x 768)
4GB DDR3 system memory
750GB 5400rpm SATA hard drive
LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW drive with Double Layer support
802.11b/g/n WLAN and Intel WiDi

mirrion

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
The easy answer: Yes, you can, but you won't like the results.

The long Answer: Intel and most integrated graphics solutions, especially on lap tops, where they're neutered to reduce power consumption are subpar for 3D gaming, and will render poorly, and are generally extremely unstable, and will result in crashing, or other odd behavior due to lack of, or poor overall feature support. If you want a gaming experience, you really will get poor results unless you have somewhat modern, dedicated graphics. THis means dedicated memory and GPU (not one of the new CPU's with an onboard GPU). If anything is 'shared' in the video description, it will not be aduquate.

In general, either the CPU or Graphics card is the limiting factor in game performance and often it's the Graphics card.

You could have 1000x the CPU processing power for that computer but without better graphics it wouldn't make a difference.

The graphics you have are the WORST performing of the modern computers, they simply are optimized for office and the Internet.

HOWEVER:
1) the graphics are the best price/heat/battery life value for an office computer. I recommended my sister get Intel integrated graphics

2) there ARE some games (older or newer but not using lots of graphics) that run nicely. If you want to play a couple games I recommend you start downloading free demos and see how things go. Use FRAPS to monitor frame rates.

Gamespot has a list of PC games that you can check out:
http://www.gamespot.com/games.html?type=top_rated&platform=5&mode=top&sort=score&page_type=games&dlx_type=all&date_filter=all&sortdir=asc&official=all

I don't know if "Deus Ex" (1999?) will run on your setup but it's still a good game. See if there's a demo and if it plays nicely get it from STEAM.

mirrion

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011

To risk sounding like a jerk, I respectfully (as in no disrespect meant to Photon) disagree with this. Frame rates are only as important as you feel they are. Some people can't stand anything under 50 FPS. Movies historically move at 24 FPS, which is what used to be considered 'playable', but in todays day and age, anything under 30FPS is frowned upon. Note that while it can very from person to person, the average person can not perceive anything moving more than 60 FPS due to various factors (try to ignore the arguments on this, think of 60 FPS to be the final speed, the bottleneck is believed to occur after the retina). I don't feel like monitoring FPS is as relevant as others do, and am happy playing any game at 30+ FPS.

^^ The problem with the 24FPS argument is that movies play back at a CONSTANT speed; games do not. If you have a game running at 45FPS, frames can often drop to below 30 at times, which is still playable. If your already at 24...well, dropping to less then 10 is certainly possible, which is certainly NOT playable.

mirrion

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011

While this is true, most of the games I play don't suffer from such sudden dips, unless something else is going on. Then again, I'm not half the gamer I used to be, so experience may vary for others, and I don't want to fully invalidate those opinions. But that's also why I stand behind the concept of testing it with a demo just going for what you feel is acceptable, rather than a number value. :) (Hopefully the demo gives enough of the full game experience to not be misleading in frame rates. <.<)

FRAPS:

I only meant this as a quick indication of how well the computer is processing the game. If you see framerates dropping periodically (which is also observable WITHOUT FRAPS) then tweak the settings like less AA, lower shadows or resolution etc.

Personally, with a high-end PC I like to tweak things so I get 60FPS as much as possible while maintaining the highest settings. If I see roughly 55FPS (so VSYNC doesn't work and I get screen tearing) I turn down a few settings and monitor to see that I now get 60FPS most of the time.

On lesser machines, big dips are common and if you get constants dips below 20FPS it's a good indication to lower a few settings.

Best settings to tweak:
- AA (anti-aliasing)
- Shadows
- Resolution

Some games have basic LOW/MEDIUM/HIGH settings with the advanced settings preconfigured. Lower end computers should start with the basic setting then further tweak as needed.