ASUS M5A97 mobo not powering up

seankanary

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster. I just recently purchased an ASUS M5A97 mobo and for whatever reason, I cant get it to power up. I have the green LED indicating it has power and a recently purchased Antec 650wt psu. I have played with the jumpers per the manual, but I'm lost. Any ideas where to begin?

seankanary

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Thanks for posting back so quickly, what specs do you need? The 8pin cable is plugged (2x 4 pin...there was no 8 pin) in the mobo as well as the big main power cable. GPU has both 4 pin cables plugged in.

caqde

Distinguished
Well if you could a picture of the inside of the case, or give us an idea of what you have connected to the system and what you have tried to do. A non booting up system usually means that the power switch is either not connected properly (Front Power switch) or that the PSU is not on (Doesn't seem to be the case. Another reason could be that the Motherboard is either shorted (via case) or there is a short somewhere in the board (a break in the wiring of the board itself) between the front header and where the power comes in to the motherboard causing the computer not to turn on.

seankanary

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Here are some photos. I apologize for the mess, I don't want to make it pretty until I get it working :(

DSC00970.jpg

DSC00969.jpg

DSC00968.jpg

DSC00967.jpg

DSC00966.jpg

DSC00965.jpg

seankanary

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Any ideas? I have the mobo out of the case on its own with just power connected and still nothing so I'm not sure it is a shorting issue. PSU still shows green LED on mobo, but no cpu fan spinning, no PSU fan spinning.

kelthic

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
One thing i noticed that is not likely related is that you installed the 2 sticks of ram in opposite colored slots, which would likely run the ram in single channel.

One thing that is related is: did you use the standoffs that came with the motherboard?

Is it blinking or solid?

kelthic

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Putting the ram in the same colored slots allows the motherboard to run in dual channel, which is much faster than single channel. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/254308-30-install-dual-channel should give you more information if necessary.

Standoffs are usually plastic pieces that ground out the motherboard. http://biorobots.cwru.edu/server/howto/buildcomp/mountmobo/ shows pictures and explains in more details. Without these you will likely be getting shorts, which might prevent startup.

seankanary

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
I'm currently (and have been) using the stock standoffs that came with the case which are metal. I have the mobo on an antistatic bag out of the case with just the power plugged in and still am having the same issue. No fans, no nothing.. except the solid green LED on the board itself.

seankanary

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
As a side note, this is the same case I have been using for a while now.. and as of a few days ago, all front power/reset buttons and corresponding plugs were fully functional.

seankanary

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
As an update, I found that my PSU might be the culprit.. I did the "paperclip test" and absolutely nothing happened. No fan spinning or anything. Really blows because I just bought this PSU (Antec EA-650) 4 months ago.

TRENDING THREADS