Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Z77 vs Z68

Last response: in Motherboards
April 2, 2012 3:35:52 AM

I am currently piecing together a build for mid-late summer. I am most definitely waiting for Ivy Bridge, as right now I don't have a desktop, so it's not like I'm upgrading from Sandy Bridge. I am also going to pick up a GTX 680, which is PCIe 3.0.

My question is, should I get the Z77 motherboards that will be released with Ivy Bridge, or should I just get a Z68 motherboard. I know that current Z68s have PCIe 3.0 compatibility, and the IB processors will fit the socket. I'm asking because I'm worried about the Z77 being a first revision when it comes out, so they could have problems that no one will know about until they release. If I were to get a Z68 board, it would be a revision 3, which are consistently reviewed highly.

Any and all advice is appreciated! Thank you in advance!

More about : z77 z68

April 2, 2012 3:47:03 AM

Ivy Bridge will be Z68 compatible with a UEFI update.

I'm building a new PC in July and I'll be getting a Z77 for that.
Score
a b V Motherboard
April 2, 2012 4:39:18 AM

All depends if u can wait for Z77 to be released. there is no push to release it atm as the only reason is IVY and its not avaliable yet.

Vendors are more likley to hold off on Z77 until they have sold all of their Z68/P68 and other stocks.

after then you will see Z77
Score
Related resources
April 2, 2012 6:45:34 PM

HugoStiglitz said:
All depends if u can wait for Z77 to be released. there is no push to release it atm as the only reason is IVY and its not avaliable yet.

Vendors are more likley to hold off on Z77 until they have sold all of their Z68/P68 and other stocks.

after then you will see Z77

Well, like I said already, I AM waiting for Ivy Bridge. The wait isn't really a factor for me. Sure, I would like to build soon, but I don't even have all the money together yet, so by time I build, Ivy Bridge and Z77 should be out.

My question is strictly based on whether I should get a new Z77 or a tried and true Gen3 Z68 motherboard. The argument for the Z77 is obviously it was BUILT for Ivy Bridge. The argument for Z68, however, is whether or not I should be worried about the fact that a Z77 would be a first generation board, whereas the Z68 would be a third generation design, so any problems would have been worked out. Also, for the Z68, current ones ALREADY support PCIe 3.0 and, as already stated, are compatible with upcoming Ivy Bridge CPUs. They will also probably drop in price when the new Z77 boards come out.

With the above arguments and concerns, should I get a Z77 or a Z68?
Score
April 2, 2012 6:53:01 PM

z77 boards look amazing compared to z68 and p67. This might be the only thing I want to upgrade.

The added graphics boost and wireless card etc make this appealing to me.
Score
a b V Motherboard
April 2, 2012 7:03:41 PM

Wait and get a Z77 board. The chances of anything on the scale of the Cougar Point chipset flaw happening again are very small.
Score
a b V Motherboard
April 2, 2012 7:20:13 PM

Here's one site with a list of articles featuring Z77 boards, some or most of which are already available now.
http://rog.asus.com/86482012/news/asus-z77-motherboards...

Asus Gen3 boards are already set to utilize IVB CPU's and have special settings in the UEFI BIOS for it. You'd probably do well to get the Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen 3 or Deluxe which will give you the best future proofing unless you decide to get a Z77 board. Since you're using your own PCI3 3.0 video card, onboard video won't mean anything but Asus does provide GPU switching.

Z77 boards will obviously have an increase in PCIe 3.0 slots, as well as USB 3.0, but the Pro/Gen3 or Deluxe both have a decent number of options for both.

It all comes down to whether you have to have the latest and greatest, and if you want to deal with any incompatibility or any other issues that may arise from a brand new series of boards.

Also, here is a site where you can lookup the details of each of the new i5/i7 IVB CPU's (right sidebar)
http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2011/2011112702_Ivy_Bridg...

Good luck!

Score
April 2, 2012 9:46:13 PM

aicom said:
Wait and get a Z77 board. The chances of anything on the scale of the Cougar Point chipset flaw happening again are very small.

What was the Cougar Point flaw? I know that P67 was recalled at one point, but I haven't heard anything about Z68, so please fill me in lol
Score
April 3, 2012 3:04:15 AM

llguitargr8 said:
What was the Cougar Point flaw? I know that P67 was recalled at one point, but I haven't heard anything about Z68, so please fill me in lol

When Intel first released the chipset in 2011 there was a chance that some users SATAII ports would fail. The motherboard manufacturers ended up recalling the motherboards and replacing them. Since Z68 was released later the problem was fixed by then. As said before, the chances of something similar happening to the 1st gen z77 chipset is very small.
Score
a b V Motherboard
April 3, 2012 3:06:18 AM

The Z77 boards are already out and they look great, just waiting till Intel releases the Ivy Bridge cpu at the end of the month and you will be good to go.
Score
April 3, 2012 3:49:41 AM

So I should get a Z77? I don't have to worry about part failure or recalls?
Score
a b V Motherboard
April 3, 2012 3:57:14 AM

There is no guarantee against recalls or issues but obviously the new Z77 boards are designed for Ivy Bridge, rather than the Gen 3 products that are designed to work with Ivy Bridge.
Score

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
April 3, 2012 3:58:59 AM

Yeah get a Z77, you shouldn't have any problems, like gecko97 said I don't see them making the same mistake they did with the first generation z68 motherboards.
April 3, 2012 6:43:20 PM

Best answer selected by llguitargr8.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
April 4, 2012 12:57:35 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!