SteelerPhan

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
After years of buying crappy pre-built machines that would die after a year or so, I finally got sick and tired of it all and built my 1st system. I'm wondering how I did. I'm sure I may have gone overboard in some areas and could benefit from some upgrades in others. Please let me know what you think.

Gigabyte GA-H67M-D2-B3 motherboard
Intel i7 2600K CPU
8 Gb RAM (2x4Gb 1333)
WD Caviar Black 1TB internal HD
Seagate FreeAgent 1.5 external HD
2 XFX HD 4670 GPUs (1Gb ea.)
4 Dell E1910H 19" LCD's
LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray
Ultra LSP750 750-Watt PSU
3 120mm fans (front (in), back (out) and top (out))
Intel BXXTS100H CPU Cooler

CPU runs pretty consistently at around 36 - 40 degrees. The HDDs are from my old system. I'm not in love with the GPUs; I liked my GE Force 8800 GT better (I just needed 2 of the same cards to run 4 displays)

Anyway, your input would be appreciated.

dan4patriots

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
Actually you did decent, I would have gone with a P67 motherboard if you were buying a K SkU as you can't overclock without the P67 and you are not using the HD 3000 graphics built in so a K is a waste, get a Radeon HD 6950 and that gives you eyefinity which means multiple monitors off one card

What are you using the pc for? Unless you're video editing or rendering, you only needed a i5 2500k. There's no point in getting a K version if you're not going to OC. You should have gotten a p67 mobo to overclock. I would have gone with something more powerful for gpus like 2x 6850, but if it's not for gaming than you're fine. Ultra is not known for good psu, you should've gotten a seasonic, corsair or antec, I wouldn't be surprised if it died and killed everything. There are better cpu coolers than that which are also cheaper and since you aren't overclocking you didn't even need it.

SteelerPhan

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
I work from home and do a lot of research and writing, and some video conferencing. I use 4 displays because of how much more efficient they make me. I get paid "per job" and they've paid for themselves 10X over and then some. I was originally going to go with an i5, but the deal I got on the i7 ($200.00) made it a no brainer to me.

I'm not a big gamer; the only one I play is Starcraft II.

As for the GPUs, I still have the GeForce 8800 GT that was in my last machine and next week I'll be able to get my hands on another one. I think I might run two of them instead of the 2 XFX HD 4670's I have now. I like watching DVDs and Blu-Rays while I work. Any thoughts or suggestions?

The issue with the Ultra PSU concerns me. The only reason I built the machine I have now is because I was sick and tired of machines dying on me. I was 1 more BSOD away from going postal. Are any of the Corsair 750W PSU's sufficient or do you recommend 1 over another?

Thanks for the input.

2x 4670 should be fine for your needs. Are you having issues? If you could get 2x8800gt, that is more performance.

Here was the review of that ultra psu. You can just read the conclusion or not read it at all. But I will say it was so bad it died on the second test and only supplies 364w not 750w. http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article/2008/02/06/ultra_x2_extreme_edition_750w_power_supply/9

Even for 2x 8800gt that use more power than 2x4670, you'd only need a good quality 550w. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

walterm

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Seasonic X-series PSU are pick of the litter.
Corsair TX650V2 AND TX750V2 are very good.
Antec TruePower New 550 or 750/
Pick what's important to you and read reviews.
Reputationwise Seasonic is the most consistent.
Corsair arguably has the best customer service.
Antec was rated the lowest return/failure rate in a european survey.
Various Enermax, Silverstone are top rated.
XFX CORE XXX ?? are top rated