ferretarmy

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
I saw a few of these topics but I did not want to hijack anybodies thread so I made my own. Well to start off my friend gave his mobo with everything psu included to my brother seeing as he had just upgraded and was not going to use it anymore. We brought it home I installed it in a spare case but when I booted it up I started getting a system fan failed this mobo had just been removed a few hours earlier and heatsink had not been messed with. The fan on it turns on fine and seems to be running well I tried entering the bios to try to disable the system fan failed msg but It just wont let me enter bios. A few times it has turned off like 5 sec after hitting the power button right when its starting to boot up I did try another power supply but same problem. I also cleared the cmos but the problem persists. Any help would be appreciated.

zalittle

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
Possibly, and I hate to say this, but you may have messed up the motherboard in some way with static electricity. It can happen. Also have you tried to replace the battery for the motherboard. Also try a different fan on the CPU.

ferretarmy

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Well seeing as he had just bought a new motherboard I used the antistatic bag it came in to put it in then I placed it in a cardboard box. I have not tried replacing the battery as for the fan on the cpu it can't be removed from the heatsink. I dont know how to describe it but I did try removing it so i could switch it out with a few spare ones I have but it was not possible.

3xch4ng3

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011

I'd also check to see if the CPU Fan is actually plugged into the Fan Header marked "CPU FAN" or "CPU". If the fan spins but you get a CPU Fan failure it can be the system isn’t detecting the CPU fan because it's plugged into the wrong fan header. This can also make the system turn off if safety measures are in place in the BIOS to shutdown when a CPU fan isn't detected.

Double check that and post an update.