Solved

New Mobo + windows 7

Main question: Will I have to re-install windows 7?

Old parts:
Biostar TX5E CFX-SLI Mobo (LGA 1156***)
i3 540 Clarksdale @ stock tempo
corsair 4gb 1333
HIS AMD 4670HD
2TB 5400 Samsung HDD (windows 7 on this already)

New Parts:
ASRock extreme3 gen3 (LGA 1155***)
i5 2500k

The samsung has windows 7 installed on it. The old parts have been involved in running my computer for the past 2 years. By upgrading the motherboard (both physically and upgrading the platform from lga 1156 to 1155) , I figured I would have to re-install Windows 7. I've received mixed answers from friends and would like to get some more opinions. Any ideas? Thanks!!
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about mobo windows
  1. It's a crap shoot as to whether Windows will be able to load successfully with the new motherboard without reinstallation. Give it a try. If you get a blue screen, then you need to reinstall Windows.
  2. I would re-install. It only takes an hour.
  3. Could work, and Win7 is much better at these things than previous Windows OSes. But given so many pieces of low-level hardware are changing, I would take ivan1984's advice and do a re-install. The little time saves lots of headaches and odd problems. :)
  4. Hope you don't have an OEM version of windows
  5. Nope, I purchased the box version. Home premium. Pretty green box.

edit: Also, abekl, how would I reinstall Windows if a blue-screen happens and I cannot access the desktop?
  6. Bulooka said:
    Nope, I purchased the box version. Home premium. Pretty green box.

Reinstall, if u want the top performance and no problems in the future.
  7. Best answer
    Bulooka said:
    Nope, I purchased the box version. Home premium. Pretty green box.

edit: Also, abekl, how would I reinstall Windows if a blue-screen happens and I cannot access the desktop?

You reinstall windows by booting from the windows dvd, not from the windows desktop.
  8. Doh! Thanks brotha.
  9. Best answer selected by Bulooka.
  10. Or u can use the USB stick to install windows.

OK, install from the USB pen drive.
    U need this tool – use USB2 port only! Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool
    How to @ http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2009/12/-the-usb-flash-drive.ars Windows Easy Transfer
Ask a new question

Read More

Chipsets Windows 7 Samsung Motherboards