Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help on New Build!!

Last response: in Systems
April 22, 2011 5:37:22 AM

Ok...I've been out of the game for years! I haven't put together a computer in 8+ years and haven't even kept much in touch with tech news and the latest and greatest in hardware. However I find myself needing a computer mainly for business, adobe Suites and some heavy accounting programs. Also I want it to function for a personal media computer. Games are NOT an issue as I don't play any PC Games. However I'm mainly looking for a computer that will last me awhile and will be easy to upgrade. Budget is about $1,200.00

This is what I've come up with so far:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition

ASUS Crosshair Formula IV

Sapphire Radeon HD 6870

Corsair 8GB CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8

Corsair 650TX Enthusiast

I already have a hard drive, dvd-rw, and I'm not too worried about a case.

I'd like to know how this build works and also if I'm making a mistake on the graphics card or ram? If possible I'd like to get a less expensive graphics card.

Thanks!

More about : build

Best solution

April 22, 2011 6:52:30 AM

Well the latest and greatest in the CPU market is Intel's Sandy Bridge 1155 series! These bad boys match the likes of the $1000 dollar 980X at just $200 and $300 respectively for the i5 2500 and i7 2600. However the AMD phenom II range is still no slouch and are going exceptionally cheap to make way for the Bulldozers hopefully coming out in June!

At the moment the GSkill RAM is reasonably priced and performs quite well in comparison to the Corsairs and Kingstons! I'd suggest some DDR3 1333 of that for your system whether it be a Sandy Bridge or AMD Phenom!

For the power supply the Corsair is good but I'd be afraid of it being a little too much overkill! Take a look at Seasonic's 520 and 620 watt semi modular range! on Newegg.

The GPU is going to be a bit of overkill! Please take a look at the AMD Radeon 6700 range (BARTS SE) As that is still high performance but will save some money. Better still you could probably drop down to the likes of the GTS450 from Nvidia or the 5670 from AMD.

Here is the build I'd suggest!

CPU -- $158.99 for the AMD Phenom 965 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

GPU -- $174.99 for the ASUS AMD Radeon 6850 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121419 (This one is probably still overkill though!)

Motherboard -- $114.99 for the ASUS M4A88-- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131668

RAM -- GSKILL RIPJAWS $99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

POWER -- Seasonic M12II 620Watt http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095

and that is all $638 so far leaving room for a nice case (Lian Lis or Cooler Master HAF) and operative system etc
April 22, 2011 4:11:17 PM

If games are not an issue, you do not need anything more powerful than the graphics which come integrated with the sandy bridge cpu's. It is about the equivalent of a $50 discrete graphics card, and particularly good as a media application.

The sb i3-2100 @3.1 is $125. Dual core with hyperthreading should be all you need, I think. If your accounting apps are multi threades, and can take advantage of 3 or more cores, then a quad like the i5-2500 @3.3 (3.7 turbo)at $210 might be better. Sandy bridge is some 20% faster, clock for clock than amd. Either one will be faster than the X4-955.

Put them in a H67 motherboard to enable the onboard graphics. Most any will do, budget about $80 for one.

If you are interested in overclocking, you might want to wait for the Z68 motherboards to arrive, supposedly after May 11. Z68 will enable both integrated graphics, and the ability to overclock the unlocked 2500K or 2600K cpu's.

In terms of upgrades, a bios update to the 1155 motherboards is supposed to be capable of running the 22nm ivy bridge cpu's due out at the end of the year.
Any of the motherboards will have at least one pci-e X16 graphics slot available for a massive graphics upgrade if you ever want to go into serious gaming, or if you have CUDA enabled apps.

Get a 8gb(2 x 4gb) ddr3 ram kit. Speed is unimportant, and $80 should do it.

Lastly, get a SSD for the OS and apps! It will make everything much quicker. Expect to pay about $2 per gb. Windows-7 takes 13gb without any effort at trimming the size.
Look at the Intel 320 series, 120gb @ $240:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources
April 24, 2011 6:06:07 AM

So I decided to go with the following build.

AMD Phenom II X4 955

Cooler Master Gemini II S

ASUS M4A88T-V-EVO/USB3

Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 DDR3 Dual Channel

Corsair GS600 600w Power Supply

Cooler Master HAF 922

I decided not to go with a graphics card for now but to use the motherboards on-board graphics chip set since I'm not doing any gaming. I figured I could always get one when the time came.

Only issue I had during the build was the heatsink for the ram and the heatsink for the cpu were not a good fit. I had to move the ram over to the black slots. Is this going to effect performance? The motherboard manual said it preferred the dual channel ram to be place in the blue slots for overclocking.

Other than the space issue I should have my hard drive formatted Sunday night and ready to go.

Thanks for the help!

m
l
April 24, 2011 8:16:42 AM

Overall I don't believe that having the RAM in the black slots (ones further away from the CPU) would affect performance too much as people running on 4 sticks have to populate both the blue and black slots! The issues mainly arise when you have one in the black slot and the other in the blue as the CPU has to access one with one cycle and the other the next cycle (single channel) instead of both sticks at the same time (as in dual channel).

An issue that might arise is that the computer may not register the RAM as it will always look at the blue slots first and then look at the black slots! Hopefully this doesn't happen and providing that the computer boot recognizing all the RAM you have installed then you should be okay!

Have fun with your new computer and don't forget to close the thread when you are finished by selecting a "Best Answer".

Luke
m
l
April 25, 2011 8:09:52 PM

Best answer selected by litdimly.
m
l
!