I've tried it all still not posting

Danvion

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Hello,
I built a PC about 4 years ago (I've build several of them throughout the years). Its an Intel Q9450 with an Asus P5N-D motherboard and 4GB of Kingston memory. I've only had to replace the PSU since building it and that was about a year ago (by the way thats a Corsair Gold GS600). Its been a rock solid PC. The other day while trying to squeeze some extra life out of it I decided to apply a 5% overclock to it by going into the Bios and using Asus's AI (everything was set to auto). As I set it, the Bios said it was updating (dont have the exact message, I know my bad) and it just hung. It said not restart the PC but after an hour with no activity I new something was wrong. So I killed the power. Now it wont even post. Everything comes on and I've tried everything I can think of, CLR Reset, removed the battery, moved the jumper pins from 1, 2, then 2, 3 then back, disconnected everything except the CPU, 1 memory stick and the GPU, and still nothing. It ran fine until I tried the OC but the OC never applied because it hung in the Bios so I cant see how I could of cooked anything (plus everything powers on). Could I have damaged the EPROM (or whatever) bios chips by turning off the PC? It was hung so I didn't have any other alternative. My last ditch effort is to replace the CMOS battery at Radio Shack but I doubt it will be the problem. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks everyone

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Make sure you're doing a proper CMOS reset. Sounds like the BIOS/CMOS got mixed up in the settings change.
Nikorr, I think you have a good link/copy-paste instruction for this. :) -= Power cable unplugged from the wall, jumpers moved, wait a couple minutes, move jumpers back, etc...=-

Danvion

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Its a great link but I know that trick and tried it already. I do have a follow up question. Asus refers to is as clearing the RTC RAM (3-pin CLRTC). Is that the same as the clear CMOS pin? It notes in their documentation that this will clear the CMOS memory of date, time , and system setup parameters so I'm thinking its one and the same. As to your question about the fans, yes everything spins up including the CPU fan. Its the craziest thing. I'm just wondering if I damaged the CMOS chips by powering it down while it was hung trying to make the OC changes. Is that even possible?