Monitor won't display unless computer power off 1hour+

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Computer
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 16, 2011 1:54:44 AM

Hey everyone, got a crazy question, wondering if anyone has any ideas...

So my computer works great when it's on but sometimes the monitor won't display when I turn it on unless I unplug the whole system from the wall for longer than an hour. It's the strangest thing, otherwise I turn it on and everything appears to be working, w/post but the monitor goes to sleep. Anyone know why this is or why removing all power would fix the problem temporarily? Any help would be much appreciated.

System:
Boot Drive: Sata3 Corsair ssd which is hooked to mobo via ide, not sure if it had anything to do w/the issue.
Mobo: Asus m4a79xtd evo
CPU: AMD phenom 2 965
VC: BFG 295 H2O w/two different lcd displays but when both at same resolution, still have same problem.
Memory: 8gb Corsair 1600
PSU: 800W ASB tagan

It can't be a permanent hardware problem or a seating problem cause everything works after I unplug the system for an hour...

More about : monitor display computer power 1hour

February 16, 2011 8:22:22 PM

If i understood you correctly, your pc works fine when it is on (for like 24/7) and if you turn it off and then on (sometimes) it wont show picture on display!? Somehow unplugging the pc from the wall for one hour fixes the problem temporary.

So to sum in... When your pc is off it sometimes don't show picture on display and if it is off for more than one hour it works again normally? Very strange and confusing...

I would check my power saving options in Win and in bios, also try changing to another display driver. Be sure that your graphic card don't overheats, install RivaTuner....

There must be solution for your problem...
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
February 17, 2011 12:47:36 AM

power supply problem or bad caps on the motherboard.
m
l
Related resources
February 17, 2011 3:46:59 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
power supply problem or bad caps on the motherboard.

I didn't think of that, yes bad caps on the mb or psu can show this symptoms.. Good advice, you have my respect man.
m
l
February 24, 2011 5:53:16 PM

Thanks for the replies,

I ended up formatting the boot drive to a regular sata 2 ssd w/out the pcie connection to see if that was causing the problem, it helped for a few days. On the new boot drive I got the updated drivers for the video card, which was updated in January. I'm going to dial them back to some of the older versions to see if that'll help. As of now, I still have to turn the power off completely for greater than an hour for it to start up.

I have to look into the bad caps issue. I don't even know what caps are for a mobo, let alone how to test them. I don't think it's the power supply since everything turns on when I press power, it's water cooled and the pump runs, all the fans turn, the lights turn on, etc.

Anyone heard of any viruses that prevent your monitor from receiving input from the video card? or prevent your computer from loading past post?
m
l
May 5, 2012 11:16:14 PM

I have a similar issue, once booted the two monitors work fine together, but once they go to sleep. Only one of the monitors wakes back up. It happens to be the 2nd monitor and not the primary. They both are run through the same video card and previously never had issues, until i started installing an SSD. I tried replacing the video card with a newer card (still low end). I even went as far as to replace the SSD. Still having the issue, so I'm thinking it must be something on the mobo. Just not sure how to troubleshoot that aspect of the issue. Someone mentioned "bad caps on the motherboard", I'm guessing they were referring to the capacitors on the mobo??? Any further ideas would be appreciated or if someone could tell me how to troubleshoot the "caps".

Thanks in advance
m
l
May 14, 2012 2:24:20 PM

Knightros said:
I have a similar issue, once booted the two monitors work fine together, but once they go to sleep. Only one of the monitors wakes back up. It happens to be the 2nd monitor and not the primary. They both are run through the same video card and previously never had issues, until i started installing an SSD. I tried replacing the video card with a newer card (still low end). I even went as far as to replace the SSD. Still having the issue, so I'm thinking it must be something on the mobo. Just not sure how to troubleshoot that aspect of the issue. Someone mentioned "bad caps on the motherboard", I'm guessing they were referring to the capacitors on the mobo??? Any further ideas would be appreciated or if someone could tell me how to troubleshoot the "caps".

Thanks in advance

"iam2thecrowe" mentioned caps, and you are right, "caps" are short for capacitors. I found good website about how to troubleshoot the caps. Checkout this link http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5 I hope it helps. If you find or think that your caps on mb are bad, then only solution is to get your pc fixed by computer repairman or just buy new mobo.

I can't see how installation of SSD is causing your problem... :??: 
m
l
!