Radeon HD 4850

Status
Not open for further replies.

arconreef

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
After doing some extensive research, I have come to the conclusion that the Radeon HD 4850 is most likely the best choice for me (it finally came down to the 4850vs5670 & I chose the former b/c of better performance). My only worry is that the PSU in my pc is a 400w and according to XFX's (I am buying their version of the card) website a 450w is required. I have seen older posts on this website and most have indicated that usually a 400w will do the job, but I wanted to confirm it so that I don't end up having to return it.

Another confusing bit was that on the XFX website they said that two or more 6-pin PCI-E power connectors are recommended. First of all, what is that? Secondly, I thought that all GPUs came with a 4-pin adapter to plug directly into the PSU, but says that the package contents include only a 6 Pin Y Power Cable.

Finally, what do you think of my choice of the 4850? Is it a good value? Is there another card (my budget is about $110) that has more power?

Solution
The 4 pin connector you are talking about being on the cards is going to be whats called a Molex connector in all probability.
Older cards used to have that but these days if a card needs extra power its going to come from a PCIE cable. the connector is fitted to the cards and a cable from your PSU plugs into it.
The cable that comes with the card is a 2X Molex to 1 PCIE adapter cable.

Anyway you will need a PCIE connector for a 4850 but not a 5670 so if you don't have one then its either change the PSU or use a 5670.
Personally i would recommend you get a 5750 http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161309&cm_re=HD5750-_-14-161-309-_-Product

You will still need a 6 pin PCIE cable but it performs better than a...
The 4 pin connector you are talking about being on the cards is going to be whats called a Molex connector in all probability.
Older cards used to have that but these days if a card needs extra power its going to come from a PCIE cable. the connector is fitted to the cards and a cable from your PSU plugs into it.
The cable that comes with the card is a 2X Molex to 1 PCIE adapter cable.

Anyway you will need a PCIE connector for a 4850 but not a 5670 so if you don't have one then its either change the PSU or use a 5670.
Personally i would recommend you get a 5750 http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161309&cm_re=HD5750-_-14-161-309-_-Product

You will still need a 6 pin PCIE cable but it performs better than a 4850.

You do have the option of using the cable provided to make up a cable if you have 2 spare Molex connectors but i wouldn't recommend it on a no name 400 watt PSU.

Mactronix :)

Solution
At $100 you can buy a 5770.5770's use roughly the same amount of power as a 4850 and are faster and have DX11.Totaly system power draw for a 5770 is 253.So in theroy your 400 watt psu should handle it fine but since it's a no name brand we should check the numbers just to be sure.

Do you know the make/model of your Power Supply?

Im not totally sure but i get the feeling the op dosent have a PCIE cable, thats why i sugested the 5750. Its Kinda like the 5 series version of the 4770. It needs teh connector but only just.

If there is a PCIE cable then yea a 5770 is a great idea and definatly a better price/perf than the 5750

Mactronix :)

arconreef

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
I opened up my PC to check, and it looks like my PSU is a Wintech 400-PS. It does not have a PCI-E cable AFAIK, though there are two spare molex cables that are available. I will definitely consider buying the 5750.

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.