Recommended PSU wattage for this build...

AirboundPizzaPuss

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
These are the components I'm planning to get:

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T CPU /w CPU fan (@3.3 Ghz, no O.C. for now)
Asus Crosshair IV Formula Motherboard
4x 4GB, 2000Mhz, Dual Channel DDR3 RAM (about 1.6 Volts, also not O.C'ed)
3x Case Fans: One @1200 RPM, another @2000 RPM, and a thermally controlled fan that can go from 1500 to 2100 RPM
2x 2TB, 64 MB Cache, 7200 RPM Spindle speed HDDs (to be used in RAID 1)
2x AMD Radeon HD 6970 Graphics Cards (CrossfireX mode)
PCI Wireless N Network Card (300 Mhz)
DVD(+/-)RW Burner

I've checked the required wattage from a few different PSU calculators across the internet, and they all averaged around 1000 watts. I'm planning to use this computer for about 5 (or more) years, and I'm not going to O.C. these components for at least the first 2 years I have this. Therefore I'm thinking of getting a 1200W PSU to make up for the 5+ years of component aging. Will it work, or is the 1200 watts not needed for the long-run?

What have you been putting into the PSU calculators, specifically in the capacitor aging field.

A good 850W unit would be more than enough for that system even with overclocking so im not sure why your PSU calculators are telling you 1kW but thats overkill. Capacitor aging unfairly inflates the eXtreme PSU calculators results, most units will never suffer more than 20% capacitor aging over 10 years, let alone their 10% for every year BS, and the newegg one inflates its results significantly.

Capacitor aging shouldn't be significant unless it is a bad PSU to begin with, or if the PSU is not ventilated properly/adequately. Basically +1 to hunter.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4061/amds-radeon-hd-6970-radeon-hd-6950/24
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1488/18/
These two reviews show ~600W being consumed at the wall when running furmark. The actual system power draw for them would be lower by 10-20% because of the efficiency of the PSU. So a worst case scenario for your maximum power consumption is going to be ~540W.

Based on this I would recommend a good 850W PSU, because a ~540W load would only stress such a PSU to ~63%.

AirboundPizzaPuss

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
850 watts? OK.

So does anyone know of an example of a 1200W computer build? And what is the downside of building a computer with a PSU with too much wattage (other than the waste of $$$ for something I won't need)?

If you wanted to do three high end cards, or two dual GPU cards, that would be a 1kW-1.2kW setup.

For the most part its just wasting money on something that you wont make full use of and likely never will make full use of, a good 850W unit is more than enough for 99.99% of systems out there, unless you are dropping 3k on a rig with multiple high end GPUs so the $300 PSU is only a small part of the budget its really just spending way too much for no reason. PSUs are also more efficient near about 50-75% load, so running a 1kW unit at 10% load when you are at idle will leave you sucking more power from the wall at idle than a similarly rated 850W unit would as it would be much closer to 20% load.