[Q] CPU and chasis running all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jomaxwel

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
I have a Asrock pro3 gen3 motherboard and an i3 2120. My CPU and two chasis fans are running all the time. I have the CPU and one chasis set to auto and the second chasis set to full. My CPU is idle and temp is 32°c and the target temp is set to 50°c and CPU fan is still running. Shouldn't it be off at these temps? I have a similar set up for the chasis fan and it always runs as well. Really annoying to have all fans running all the time. Thanks guys.

Solution
The fans will always run if set to auto. The fan will throttle up and down based on the cooling requirements both on the CPU and the Chassis as measured by thermal sensors on the motherboard. Each fan has a minimum speed, but shouldn't stop altogether.

I honestly haven't heard of a modern CPU not requiring a fan running at some rate even on most aftermarket coolers.
The fans will always run if set to auto. The fan will throttle up and down based on the cooling requirements both on the CPU and the Chassis as measured by thermal sensors on the motherboard. Each fan has a minimum speed, but shouldn't stop altogether.

I honestly haven't heard of a modern CPU not requiring a fan running at some rate even on most aftermarket coolers.

Solution

jomaxwel

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

So this is the way it is designed to work? I thought the fans only went on when they were needed and under normal conditions would turn off when not needed. My old systems fans would only run when temps got high enough to need them. First time building my own PC so wasn't sure on this one. Should I invest in a fan controller? I would like a couple of my fans to shut down when not needed to maintain a lower temp.

You could get a fan controller for the chassis fans, but I recommend you let the CPU fan run as necessary off the motherboard's fan controller. The CPU should and will change speed relative to your CPU temp when connected to the motherboard fan controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.