Adding 4gb of RAM to OC'd cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

echod

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
My current CPU is OC'd. I'm getting 4 more gb of the same ram in today

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

Do i need to change my setting back to default in my BIOS before installing this? Just needed to know what to do before adding the extra ram.

i5-750 3.7 ghz OC
4 gb (link above is ram i have and ordered 4 more gb worth)
Asus p7P55D-E PRO

Any additional info I need to post just let me know.

image hosting

Solution

hes running a first gen i5, cpu overclock as eveything to do with ram, hes changing the fsb not the multipier like on a second gen i5. since you already have your cpu overclocked and the ram is stabel you should be able to add the extra sticks to the MB since you are buying the same ram.

The only thing you need to watch out for is since you are populating all the ram slots you might need to add a little more voltage to the qpi/dram core voltage to make eveything stable. everthing might be fine but if you start having crashes/bsod then i would start by uping the qpi voltage

echod

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010

Ok gotcha. I didn't know if the software is used (flames incoming lol) also may have oc'd the RAM as well.

hes running a first gen i5, cpu overclock as eveything to do with ram, hes changing the fsb not the multipier like on a second gen i5. since you already have your cpu overclocked and the ram is stabel you should be able to add the extra sticks to the MB since you are buying the same ram.

The only thing you need to watch out for is since you are populating all the ram slots you might need to add a little more voltage to the qpi/dram core voltage to make eveything stable. everthing might be fine but if you start having crashes/bsod then i would start by uping the qpi voltage

Solution

echod

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010

This was my initial thought as well. Good deal this is what I was hoping I could do. We shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.