Sign in with
Your question

I5 2500k/mobo combo thoughts

Last response: in Systems
April 22, 2011 7:00:13 PM

Hi all,

I've been slowly piecing together a new build, trying to save a few bucks here and there, and came across this

$329 for a i5 2500k and mobo. That seems like a really good deal to me, but I'm not positive on that specific mobo. Thoughts?

Approximate Purchase Date: asap

Budget Range: around 1k

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming

Overclocking: In the future

SLI or Crossfire: Partial to single card configs, but would like to have the option

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: The rest of the build will be standard and I have a pretty good idea of what I want thanks to all you Tom's posters. :-)

Thanks in advance to your thoughts on the deal linked above.
April 22, 2011 7:24:46 PM

That is a good deal, microcenter always has awesome deals but they are always for in store only so you have to live near one.
April 22, 2011 7:26:58 PM

That would be a great combo, but you need to live near one to actually get it (I wish I did).

From that, add a good 4 or 8GB kit (depending on what you can afford), and a solid GPU like a GTX 560 or AMD HD 6950.
Related resources
April 22, 2011 7:35:13 PM

Man am I glad you posted that. I was looking at getting a P8P67. The pro was what I really wanted but it was way more. throw some ddr3-1600 on it and go!
*luckily I live near one.
April 22, 2011 7:52:14 PM

If i were you id go to the store NOW, because they are going to sell out.
April 22, 2011 8:03:31 PM

omnipanzer said:
Man am I glad you posted that. I was looking at getting a P8P67. The pro was what I really wanted but it was way more. throw some ddr3-1600 on it and go!
*luckily I live near one.

They're still offering the processor by itself for $180 if you were set on getting the pro. Just don't think I'll have any use for the extra features the pro offers.

Looks like I'll be taking a trip to Microcenter this weekend. It's an hour long drive, but this deal seems worth it.
!