Best processor for the LGA 775

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008

I have 2 of those old machines that I'm still using. One has an E8500 (dual core) that is running at 3.8GHz. These typically overclock pretty well. Intel also made the E8600 and E8700 with higher multipliers. My other machine has a Q9400 (quad core) that is running at 3.4GHz. It has a relatively low multiplier but can overclock well with a good motherboard and high speed ram. I got mine to 3.8GHz pretty easily in testing.

I would say that right now the best processor for that socket is the one that you can get cheap on the used market. They are 2 generations old now so there should be cheap ones available from people who want to upgrade.

The best of the current Intel processors can overclock to a point with right at twice the processing speed of my 2 chips mentioned above

puttsy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
775 is such a degraded socket anymore that it isn't *really* worth looking into. I have 3 core 2 machines I use daily (one quad, 2 duo) and the quad almost keeps up it i7 machines (heck, a nice OC i5 passes it up too...) If you are really looking the, the Q9400 is probably the best Bang-for-buck 775 at the time being. It overclocks well (even with a locked multiplier, but you have plenty of headroom) and puts up a darn good fight when running intensive jobs. If you are looking more in the duo range, I've had the best luck with an e6750 machine. I was never quite satisfied with any of the newer Intel duo's when compared to the 6750. OC's well, stays cool, and is stable as a rock through all of it.

If you're actually looking to buy an LGA 775 CPU though the best thing to do is go on eBay and get a Q9550 or Q9450, whichever you can get cheaper, and overclock it. Spending more than that on an LGA 775 platform does not make sense when you can get into Sandy Bridge for around the same price.

I did not know that
Thank you for the info

Now if I could only find some grandma who wants to get rid
of that old junky Skulltrail tower lying in the closet for $50 LOL

I have never been ripped off on Ebay.
I only do "buy it now" and rarely bid.
also only use top rated sellers with alot of ratings (transactions)
Seriously going to the local computer shop in town is usually
the big rippoff
They will try to sell you an old Nvidia 6200 for $59 LOL

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
The Best processor is Q9550... you can OC it to 3.59GHz at stock voltage+heatsink(Barely passing 80s and average of 78*C and it idle under 40*C)... Q9650 is just a bit higher clock...

I know that LOL
I was just showing that the new tech is the same price as what is basically
an obsolete CPU
Just to warn them

actually megaman already answered the question
the QX9770 would be the best CPU for LGA775

megaman should get Best Answer IMHO

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
The Only different from the Q9550 and the QX9770 is the FSB Speed and the CoreClock... You can already OC Q9550 with stock voltage+heatsink and already performs like an QX9770 but voltage for both will be different... I Would recommend spending $300 on a new MoBo+CPU, get an i5-2500k $220 and a $80 mobo Z68 and you should be able to OC, those $200 MoBo Z68 just got more feature like Cooler looks and easier to OverClock but it doesn't matter when your Overclocking because you'll always get the same result after few hours...

that was the OPs question
and megaman answered it
QX9770 is the best LGA775 CPU

not whether or not that is a smart decision

I agree that spending over 200 USD on a C2Q doesnt make sense
but that wasnt the question of the thread