Case:HAF 922
Mobo: MSI P67A-GD55
Graphics Card: Palit GTX 570 sonic platinum
PSU: XFX 750w black edition
SSD: Crucial C300 64gb
HDD: WD caviar black 500gb
Monitor: 24" asus LCD
Total: £1146 (~$1500)
So, what do you guys think of this build, this is a gaming rig primarily and is 4gb of RAM enough? This will be my first build so any useful tips are appreciated.
10 answers Last reply
More about critique planned build please
  1. Anyone?
  2. All compatible.

Yes 4GB is plenty for a gaming system. Gaming is not (in the grand scheme of things) memory hungry.

I would change the harddrive to something from Samsung, isn't this cheaper:?
    Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB £42
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173804
    Yet you get more storage, and it's one of the fastest 1TB HDDs around. It's not a big deal, I'm just a fan of Samsung drives.

I also wouldn't choose RAM with such large heatspreaders, unless perhaps I was planning on overclocking them extensively. Otherwise DDR3 RAM stays cool enough, especially in a high airflow case such as the HAF 922, to not need them and they just create potential problems with CPU heatsinks - having said that I think you will be fine with the Hyper 212 Plus.
  3. Is the Hyper 212+ a cooler that will keep my cpu temps down when overclocked to 4.5ghz? Or would I be better off with a more expensive cooler?
  4. The Hyper 212+ is amazing in every way. It can be outperformed by $90 coolers though.
  5. Mobo: This one will get it done just as well, pretty much: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130583

Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB is the HDD you should be buying.

SSD: I'd get one of the sandforce SSD's like the OCZ Vertex 2 or Corsair Force series.

There's nothing wrong with cool looking heatspreaders for the most part if your cooler will still fit. The Hyper 212+ should be fine. Of course, the heatspreaders shouldn't do much to improve performance.

Graphics: Make sure it's externally exhausting. I'd go for a Radeon 6950 2GB because it scales in crossfire to outperform a GTX 570. Also, it unlocks to 6970 performance, which is as good as a GTX 570 anyways. Save money AND get better performance.
  6. The reason I want to buy the gtx 570 is because you can overclock it past gtx 580 levels and what's wrong with having internal exhausting card? Also,Would it be ok with a case like the haf 922?
  7. robbiep28 said:
    The reason I want to buy the gtx 570 is because you can overclock it past gtx 580 levels and what's wrong with having internal exhausting card? Also,Would it be ok with a case like the haf 922?

Good point, with a high airflow case, like the HAF 922, it would easily be able to deal with the heat from a graphics card exhausting into the case.

After a quick check of a few forums around the net I got the impression that people were getting their i5-2500Ks to 4.5GHz and only reaching maximum temps of around 60C on load with their Hyper 212 Pluses. If 60C is too hot for you then I would spend £30-45 getting a better heatsink - if you are willing to spend that much. Again the case you have chosen will help you keep the temps down.
  8. okay thanks, Another thing if I set up a RAID 0 array using two samsung spinpoint f3s will I get similar performance to a ssd?
  9. robbiep28 said:
    okay thanks, Another thing if I set up a RAID 0 array using two samsung spinpoint f3s will I get similar performance to a ssd?

No. There's some debate as to whether it even improves performance significantly all, but bottom line is I would never use RAID0 because it's playing with fire. You're basically doubling the chance that you are going to lose all your data for a minimal performance increase. Mechanical hard drives can and do fail, and RAID0 just means that if any one of the drives develops problems, you're completely hosed.
  10. I have three Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB's. I run them in 3x100GB RAID 0 and 3x831GB RAID 5. They are much faster than single Spinpoint F3 1TB's I've ran in other computers. Even with my RAID initialization, I toast other computers on boot up time. I'm getting 425MB/s average read in HD Tach on the RAID 0 (225MB/s RAID 5). I've had a connector come loose so my RAID 0 won't boot, but the RAID 5 keeps working (in slow "degraded" mode) without 1 drive so my data's safe.

That said, my setup would get owned by SSDs for most useful tasks. But I bought it last August for $58 a drive when SSDs were more expensive than they are now. And even when I get an SSD, I can always still use the drives in RAID 5.

If you're on a budget, RAID is not worth it for price or performance.

EDIT: You can run 2x100GB RAID 0 and 2x831GB RAID 1 for 1031GB total storage with data security. It's not the BEST option in the world, but it's plenty good.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Build Systems Product