Case:HAF 922
Mobo: MSI P67A-GD55
Graphics Card: Palit GTX 570 sonic platinum
PSU: XFX 750w black edition
SSD: Crucial C300 64gb
HDD: WD caviar black 500gb
Monitor: 24" asus LCD
Total: £1146 (~$1500)
So, what do you guys think of this build, this is a gaming rig primarily and is 4gb of RAM enough? This will be my first build so any useful tips are appreciated.

More about : critique planned build

April 23, 2011 9:48:54 AM

Anyone?
a b B Homebuilt system
April 23, 2011 10:07:19 AM

All compatible.

Yes 4GB is plenty for a gaming system. Gaming is not (in the grand scheme of things) memory hungry.

I would change the harddrive to something from Samsung, isn't this cheaper:?
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB £42
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173804
Yet you get more storage, and it's one of the fastest 1TB HDDs around. It's not a big deal, I'm just a fan of Samsung drives.

I also wouldn't choose RAM with such large heatspreaders, unless perhaps I was planning on overclocking them extensively. Otherwise DDR3 RAM stays cool enough, especially in a high airflow case such as the HAF 922, to not need them and they just create potential problems with CPU heatsinks - having said that I think you will be fine with the Hyper 212 Plus.
Related resources
April 23, 2011 9:29:45 PM

Is the Hyper 212+ a cooler that will keep my cpu temps down when overclocked to 4.5ghz? Or would I be better off with a more expensive cooler?
a b B Homebuilt system
April 23, 2011 11:05:56 PM

The Hyper 212+ is amazing in every way. It can be outperformed by $90 coolers though.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 23, 2011 11:16:31 PM

Mobo: This one will get it done just as well, pretty much: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB is the HDD you should be buying.

SSD: I'd get one of the sandforce SSD's like the OCZ Vertex 2 or Corsair Force series.

There's nothing wrong with cool looking heatspreaders for the most part if your cooler will still fit. The Hyper 212+ should be fine. Of course, the heatspreaders shouldn't do much to improve performance.

Graphics: Make sure it's externally exhausting. I'd go for a Radeon 6950 2GB because it scales in crossfire to outperform a GTX 570. Also, it unlocks to 6970 performance, which is as good as a GTX 570 anyways. Save money AND get better performance.
April 24, 2011 12:16:50 PM

The reason I want to buy the gtx 570 is because you can overclock it past gtx 580 levels and what's wrong with having internal exhausting card? Also,Would it be ok with a case like the haf 922?
a b B Homebuilt system
April 24, 2011 1:20:34 PM

robbiep28 said:
The reason I want to buy the gtx 570 is because you can overclock it past gtx 580 levels and what's wrong with having internal exhausting card? Also,Would it be ok with a case like the haf 922?

Good point, with a high airflow case, like the HAF 922, it would easily be able to deal with the heat from a graphics card exhausting into the case.

After a quick check of a few forums around the net I got the impression that people were getting their i5-2500Ks to 4.5GHz and only reaching maximum temps of around 60C on load with their Hyper 212 Pluses. If 60C is too hot for you then I would spend £30-45 getting a better heatsink - if you are willing to spend that much. Again the case you have chosen will help you keep the temps down.
April 24, 2011 3:14:35 PM

okay thanks, Another thing if I set up a RAID 0 array using two samsung spinpoint f3s will I get similar performance to a ssd?
a b B Homebuilt system
April 24, 2011 5:02:49 PM

robbiep28 said:
okay thanks, Another thing if I set up a RAID 0 array using two samsung spinpoint f3s will I get similar performance to a ssd?

No. There's some debate as to whether it even improves performance significantly all, but bottom line is I would never use RAID0 because it's playing with fire. You're basically doubling the chance that you are going to lose all your data for a minimal performance increase. Mechanical hard drives can and do fail, and RAID0 just means that if any one of the drives develops problems, you're completely hosed.

a b B Homebuilt system
April 25, 2011 11:54:42 PM

I have three Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB's. I run them in 3x100GB RAID 0 and 3x831GB RAID 5. They are much faster than single Spinpoint F3 1TB's I've ran in other computers. Even with my RAID initialization, I toast other computers on boot up time. I'm getting 425MB/s average read in HD Tach on the RAID 0 (225MB/s RAID 5). I've had a connector come loose so my RAID 0 won't boot, but the RAID 5 keeps working (in slow "degraded" mode) without 1 drive so my data's safe.

That said, my setup would get owned by SSDs for most useful tasks. But I bought it last August for $58 a drive when SSDs were more expensive than they are now. And even when I get an SSD, I can always still use the drives in RAID 5.

If you're on a budget, RAID is not worth it for price or performance.

EDIT: You can run 2x100GB RAID 0 and 2x831GB RAID 1 for 1031GB total storage with data security. It's not the BEST option in the world, but it's plenty good.
!