No Signal WTF HELP

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Here is the story...

Got my graphics card today really happy put it all in, happy that the build is nearly done. I have all the main parts now accept the OS and HDD.

1st try it boots up and I see a 'CPU FAN ERROR' (Although it booted till it said boot from drive or whatever) I turned the PC off and saw that I must of put the CPU Cooler into the 'Power Fan' (Whatever that is although fans still span'

2nd boot and nothing...Everything worked accept I got 'NO SIGNAL' on the screen. The fans and everything are spinning GPU fan it spinning although I cant get a picture on the screen. What have I done in this short amount of time. ... :(

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Couple things you can try:

unplug your pc from the wall, let it sit for a minute and then plug it back in and reboot. simple, and sometimes works to reset things.

try to swap your video card to a different PCI-E slot, see if it works.

clear your CMOS, you can do this by locating a small battery on your motherboard, usually a big looking watch battery, removing it, and then putting it back in after 30 seconds, do this with your computer unplugged of course.

lastly, remove anything that you don't need to boot and go from there. (like try with only one stick of ram, remove the sound card etc.)

I'm guessing somewhere in there is your answer.

Lastly, RMA your card! It's a dud!

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
It worked then I thought let's power it off. And see if it works but it didn't. I think it's something to do with my PC Power button. If it does not work in an hour I will contract the damn seller.

mirrion

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011

The power button is a really basic switch, and isn't going to be the cause of this problem.

Are you no longer getting a BIOS post?

If not, make sure you have an internal speaker plugged in, power the computer on. It should beep a code saying what's wrong. Look up the beep codes for your Motherboard via Google.

The 3 top culprits are:

Your monitor died (this actually a common Westinghouse issue).
Your CPU is borked.
You Card is Dead.

Due to your CPU fan issue, if your fan is plugged in right, it's possible the mobo is borked.

Other, less common culprits:

Bad memory in the first memory slot.
Bad PSU.

If you can get into the BIOS, make sure you don't have some video setting that's set to anything not PCI-E. If your motherboard has onboard video, this could be the cause. Also, plug your CPU fan into the correct connector, and reset your CMOS jumper. It's possible this is a failsafe preventing full use due to the CPU fan being disconnected (though CPU fans have a unique connector, how it's plugged in incorrectly is a little odd, and I'd check this out and make it work).

You haven't even told us what graphics card or what motherboard your using or anything. Not sure how we can help you.

In response to the guy above. I guarantee it's none of your "top 3 culprits". LOL

Does the card need a power connector that you forgot to plug in?? This is where mentioning what parts your talking about helps.

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Borked? New word?

GTX 460 1GB Sonic Platinum.
ASUS M4N75TD

I got it going 2 times in a row now and thought better leave it lmao, the CPU fans were spinning in both Fan headers.

mirrion

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011

This would fall under borked.

Edit: Though admittedly, I said CPU = Borked and Card = Broken, when it should have been the other way around.

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
GeekApproved

I clearly say that it gives me an error. That must imply that sometimes the GPU works. It works in PCI slot number 2, although the fan is under 1 inch away from the PSU. I will watch the temps on the card though.

No you did not clearly state that.

You said "NO SIGNAL WTF". A cpu fan error has nothing to do with a signal from your video card to your monitor and you would still get that error whether or not you had a signal or not. :sleep:

How can you possibly "WATCH" the temps on the card when you have no signal to your monitor???? Did you attach a meat thermometer to the video card or something? LOL

I think you have not been clear at all about what your problem is. You state no signal, yet you can still see stuff on the screen. Makes no sense whatseover.

mirrion

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011

In Geek's defense, it wasn't clear what you were experiencing, and even I had to ask. If you're getting posts sometimes in one port, I'd suspect there's some kind of connection problem with the card. Either the pins in the PCI-E slot, or the power as Geek suggested.