Motherboard swap?

crossfiresli160

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
so i dropped my PC and the motherboard does not work so im going to wait for z77 and replace it with that can i still use my old hard drive and keep my win 7 64bit.
and if i cant use it what is the best way to back up my data,games from steam origin and retail pc dvd games.

msi p67-gd53 to z77-gd55

arvalin_dakaria

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

The issue is if he uses a diffrent motherboard he'll have to reinstall windows. The authentication for windows doesn't like you swapping mobos.

As for retrieving old data, Steam uses cloud hosting for saved games now, don't know about origin, and for misc files the only thing I think of is to slave the drive into another computer and grab what you need.

to the op most time on dropped pc of the ram clips are fine not broken and the pci slots are fine(cards still locked in most times it the cpu collors or cpu scokket that gets ripped from the mb. you may be lucky and only the cpu and heat sink came apart. have you tired reseating both to see if the mb still fine??

akxpckwb

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

Very good point. I guess OP should backup the data before swapping (and format/install OS) motherboards

robertnewton

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
First of all, unless you know for sure it's your motherboard that is the problem then it would be worth it to figure out the real problem. As for your data, you can take out the hard drive and plug it into a different working system either internally as a second hard drive or externally and just drag and drop your data to a different hard drive or flash drive or DVD depending how much data you have. You WILL definitely have to reinstall the OS if you get a different motherboard/chipset, and when you do this you'll need to wipe all your current data... assuming it wasn't set it up with multiple partitions.

robertnewton

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
It basically goes like this bro, when you install an operating system (Windows in this case) onto a hard drive partition, the OS specifically builds it for your motherboard hardware. So you cannot access Windows with a different model motherboard. If all of your data is on the same partition that your OS is on, which obviously it must be, then you will not be able to access it using any other computer than the one you originally used it on, unless you use a different boot program to access it, or install it as a slave drive to a different, working, system.

crossfiresli160

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
so i just got my z77 gd55 and installed my old hardware and tried to boot windows at first it wouldnt boot but then i switched the controller from ahci mode to ide mode and it booted up i didnt need a fresh install and i can access my data and games i guess it was possible so ya from p67 gd53 to z77 gd55