Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What i do if my computer did not accepting memory card

Last response: in Memory
April 3, 2012 9:41:55 AM

Hi ,I have been using amemory stick for my studies and today suddenly my laptop is not recognizing it or the printer or my ipod dose anyone have an idea why this is .Please help
Cheers Angie
April 3, 2012 9:57:30 AM

It broke... maybe got wet, took a static discharge or the usb connector is clogged?

Check it over but if its gone you don't really have a choice but to get a new one. They are cheap.

I would assume you are worried about the data. BACKUP TO REAL DISKS OFTEN, is the lesson you need to take there, have multiple copies in different places if it is really important stuff.

Disks break and when they do you better hope you have it saved somewhere else.
m
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
April 3, 2012 12:18:36 PM

actually, if your computer has stopped recognizing your other USB devices, then it's your laptop, docking station or USB hub. Your USB drive is probably still ok.
If you're connecting these devices to a USB hub, double check that something didn't get dislodged. If everything is securely connected, then re-plug your devices into the computer directly (even if 1 at a time) to verify your computer's USB ports are ok.

If your laptop is docked to a docking station, remove the laptop from the dock, and again plug the devices directly into the laptop.

As a last resort, plug your USB drive into another laptop (secondary laptop or a friend's).

Depending on your results can point us to what's going on. (e.g., if plugging in direct works, then the hub/dock station has a problem. If direct doesn't work, then we might need to look at drivers or possibly the ports have been damaged or even disabled accidentally).

Let us know what you find out.
Also, if you can let us know the make and model of your laptop, as well as any "changes" you might know between when things worked and when things stopped working....
Related resources
April 3, 2012 12:42:07 PM

Looks like I read it wrong, I thought she was saying when she plugged the USB into her printer that it also didn't recognise the device.

^^ I think psaus has it right, your laptop USB ports are on the fritz. Check in "device manager and see that the USB controller drivers are ok too.
m
l
April 4, 2012 10:11:45 AM

Best answer selected by angielongman.
m
l
April 4, 2012 10:37:16 AM

psaus said:
actually, if your computer has stopped recognizing your other USB devices, then it's your laptop, docking station or USB hub. Your USB drive is probably still ok.
If you're connecting these devices to a USB hub, double check that something didn't get dislodged. If everything is securely connected, then re-plug your devices into the computer directly (even if 1 at a time) to verify your computer's USB ports are ok.

If your laptop is docked to a docking station, remove the laptop from the dock, and again plug the devices directly into the laptop.

As a last resort, plug your USB drive into another laptop (secondary laptop or a friend's).

Depending on your results can point us to what's going on. (e.g., if plugging in direct works, then the hub/dock station has a problem. If direct doesn't work, then we might need to look at drivers or possibly the ports have been damaged or even disabled accidentally).

Let us know what you find out.
Also, if you can let us know the make and model of your laptop, as well as any "changes" you might know between when things worked and when things stopped working....

Hi there,Thanks for your help ,i tried my memory stick in my sons laptop and it was fine ,so made some backup copies thenleft my laptop alone for the day , then trid again and it seems to be working now .All i can think is my husband used my laptop to do some printing and unplugged it from the mains and left it unplugged so i think the battery must have been so low it just didn,t recognize anything ,but i am a complete cluds when things on my laptop don,t work ,now aleast i know i can ask.
Many many thanks Angie.
m
l
a b } Memory
April 4, 2012 10:52:58 AM

Absolutely you can ask. :)  That's what these forums are for. Do reply here if the computer-gnomes return to your USB drive/printer.

2 more notes for the future, for you;

1. When in doubt, reboot - does wonders for those "strange" problems. (for a laptop, do so plugged into the mains).

2. Not a problem, but this question would most accurately be asked in the "Computer Peripherals" section - "Memory" in this section's context is RAM. Not a problem that you asked here, as most of us are in all sections, but just helps us get in the right mindset when reading your question. Just a minor critique for the future, nothing major. :) 
m
l
Related resources
!