6950 unlocked. To Crossfire or not to. Have 2 in hand, help me decide!

My current system:

i5-750 Lynnfield (with a Coolermaster hyper 212+ HSF)
8GB of Gskill Ripjaw DDR3 1600 (the 7-8-7-24)
Sapphire 6950 2GB (Unlocked with Sapphire 6970 Bios and Overdrive set to +20% power)
ASRock P55 Deluxe3 Motherboard
HDD (WD Raptor 150 for OS/Games ...NO SSD yet, and 2 Seagate Barracuda 2 TB hds for storage)
Coolermaster HAF 932 AMD Edition (Got it for 99 bucks locally, don't make fun of my AMD logo)
Corsair Gaming Series 800w Power Supply
Windows 7 64-Bit

I have 2 21.5 inch Samsung monitors. One runs at 1680x1050 (secondary) and I use a 1920x1080 as my main screen for gaming.

I like to at least test drive any relevant game and tend to play MMOs pretty hardcore. (such as Rift)

So now my question:

I have one 6950 unlocked already as listed. I have another I am debating on returning, unopened. I went a little over budget, but I can deal with that. My concern is, is it worth me installing the second one? Obviously it is likely overkill...but e-peen/nerd points say different. I just want to know what the community suggests. Should I send it back or should I unlock this as well and run two of them? Two of the same cards. I am about to move, and plan to also connect my pc to a 42 inch 1080p LCD TV for watching movies. But that wont be enabled when I game, so I don't think that's an issue.

Also, when I am gaming with the auto fan control I see temps up to 84C , should I work on profiles to update the way the fan works? I set it to just 35% and it drops my temp substantially (about10-12C) without being too loud.

Anyway, any help will be appreciated. Thank you for helping me make my decision =P
5 answers Last reply
More about 6950 unlocked crossfire hand decide
  1. Honestly only you can decide. Run some games, see how a single one performs. I'm sure it'll be fine. But, if you're not getting the FPS you want... install the second one.

Or if the single card is close to what you want you could possibly return both and get something like SLI 560s or CF6870s, which would be better than the single 6970 but cheaper than two.
  2. The single is fine, but I won't know if the performance is worth the 2nd one without installing it and flashing the bios. That's why I am hoping some one else can decide
  3. Well with these cards you'll see up to 80-90% higher framerates in crossfire.
  4. Should I be concerned with my temperatures?
  5. Well if there's a space between the cards then no, but if they'll be stuck right on eachother so there's no breathing room for the top card, then yea it can get hot. But with good case airflow it's not that bad.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics