Solved

New build between 650-850$

I'm looking to build a new gaming computer, and I need everything but a monitor. My current monitor is HDMI and 28 inches, with a max res of 1900x1200. I was hoping I could get some suggestions on specific parts that would be optimal. Any advice would be very much appreciated. If there any info that I forgot to include that would be helpful, please let me know.

Thanks in advance! :)
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build
  1. Best answer
  2. its refreshing to see a build where i would change absolutely nothing. well done k1114. actually, i would go with the sony optiarc dvd burner because it has an all black front :)

this guy may need to kick it down a bit however, if he needs windows
  3. I have a windows 7 CD, and I don't plan to overclock (I'm really not confident enough that I'd know what I was doing). And unfortunately, I don't think I even know what a microcenter is :) I really appreciate you taking the time to give me suggestions though! Thanks.
  4. genghiskron said:
    its refreshing to see a build where i would change absolutely nothing. well done k1114. actually, i would go with the sony optiarc dvd burner because it has an all black front :)

this guy may need to kick it down a bit however, if he needs windows

Could you explain what you mean about kicking it down if I need windows? I pretty much always use windows, so I'm curious what you mean.
  5. He meant kick the price down as windows is $100 and to fit in the budget would need to lower the specs.

Ok here's a build with no overclocking, but the mobo doesn't have sata 3 and usb 3, I did see another one that was $20 more if you wanted to have these. The liteon dvd/cd drive was just the cheapest one i saw price+shipping. I could still get a lower priced build if you'd like but you have a max of $850 so I'd get the best I could but you might not need so much power. What games do you play? Also case looks is more of a personal preference, and there are more minimalist looking cases if you'd like. I could also go to the 1gb 6950 as you probably won't unlock the 2gb to a 6970.

LITE-ON DVD Writer - Bulk - Black SATA Model iHAS224-06 LightScribe Support - OEM
    COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    HIS H695F2G2M Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
    Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK
    Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500
    ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    TOTAL: $806.94
  6. As far as the games I play, sometimes I play MMORPGs, sometimes first person shooters. But as far as I know, both of those can be pretty demanding on computers, especially an MMO when there are a lot of players on screen.

And hitting the 850 max is fine, I just put a lower number in the event that some parts that cost more are really minimal upgrades over their cheaper counterparts.

You mentioned the mobo doesn't have sata 3 and usb 3, what does that mean exactly? And the DVD drive isn't that important to me, so the one you picked should be fine. I also was fine with the case you picked, it's the same company that my current case is from and I liked it.

Also, what do you mean exactly with not unlocking the 2gb to a 2970?

Thanks again for all your help, I'm pretty incompetent with this stuff, so please bear with me.
  7. Best answer selected by Lochness100.
  8. I'm sure you know what usb is, current usb version is 2.0 which is a ~30mb/s, usb 3 is the new version ~300mb/s and is backwards compatible. It's still pretty new but by the end of the year, all flash drives and such should be usb 3. Sata 3 only pertains if you want a SSD.

BY unlocking a 6950 to a 6970 you essentially make the 6950 a 6970 which is 20% more performance I think. You said you weren't confident with overclocking and this is similar to that in the aspect that you're changing settings. So go with the 1GB version to save money.
  9. Okay, I see what you're saying. And yeah, I know what USB is, but I didn't know what you meant by USB 3. I thought maybe you meant it had 3 usb ports. And considering I'm not sure what an SSD is, I don't think I need that.

Also, as far as the video cards go, it seems like a 1gb card would be a big downgrade from a 2gb (completely based on the fact that 2gb is twice as much as 1gb :) ). Would the 2gb card not inherently be a lot better than the 1gb even without me messing with it? And is "unlocking" also potentially dangerous like overclocking is? The only reason I don't feel confident overclocking is because I wouldn't want to damage anything. If all I'd have to do to unlock something is change bios settings, then I could handle that.

* One other thing I forgot to ask. I noticed you had 4GB of ram for me. I think I vaguely remember in the old days that ram was pretty important for games, but I may be thinking of something else. Is it just kind of overkill to get more than 4GB? Or did you have to get 4GB to stick within the price range?
  10. Overclocking the new intel cpus are really easy, you pretty much keep stock everything, set to manual and OC to ~4.4. This guide also states max voltages so aslong as you stay below those, you'll be fine, but ~4.4 on stock voltage is fine so you shouldn't have to change voltages. I don't think you'll need the performance right now but it's good to have the option if you decide to later. Here's a guide. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265056-29-2600k-2500k-overclocking-guide

There's not much difference form the 1gb and 2gb 6950, 1gb is fine for you're resolution. The 2gb version has a switch to revert back to stock bios if you do mess up so there's little chance of messing it up. Here's a guide for that. http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/159

4gb of ram is all you need for gaming. The h61 only has 2 slots so your stuck to change out both if you want more, the p67 has 4 slots though. Here's the link to the other h61 with usb3, it also has 4 slots. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157246&Tpk=h61
  11. k1114 said:
    Overclocking the new intel cpus are really easy, you pretty much keep stock everything, set to manual and OC to ~4.4. This guide also states max voltages so aslong as you stay below those, you'll be fine, but ~4.4 on stock voltage is fine so you shouldn't have to change voltages. I don't think you'll need the performance right now but it's good to have the option if you decide to later. Here's a guide. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265056-29-2600k-2500k-overclocking-guide

There's not much difference form the 1gb and 2gb 6950, 1gb is fine for you're resolution. The 2gb version has a switch to revert back to stock bios if you do mess up so there's little chance of messing it up. Here's a guide for that. http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/159

4gb of ram is all you need for gaming. The h61 only has 2 slots so your stuck to change out both if you want more, the p67 has 4 slots though. Here's the link to the other h61 with usb3, it also has 4 slots. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157246&Tpk=h61

Awesome :) Maybe I'll give overclocking a try. With a good guide there shouldn't be any reason I can't figure it out. Thanks again for your help. I may order all the parts tonight. I really appreciate all the help!
  12. I forgot to mention if you OC, you'd probably want a better cooler. Here's a good one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065
  13. Okay, I'll make sure to pick that up. And the last thing I wanted to check was if there's any way to be sure that everything will fit in the case alright. I remember the last time I upgraded my video card it was so big that it almost didn't fit inside my case, so I was hoping there's some way to be sure that I won't have any problems like that.

*also, is the only difference between the mobo that has 4 slots for ram instead of 2 the extra 5$? I'd feel better about having the option to add more ram in the future, so if the price difference is that small I think i'll go for the one with 4 slots - or am i missing something?
  14. Are you going with the first build I posted? The 6950 fits the haf 912. And if you're going with the first build you need the p67 to overclock and that has 4 slots.
  15. I may go with the first build - so if I do I just need to make sure i get the p67 mobo and the heat sink, right?
  16. My exact first build + the heatsink I forgot, for overclocking. Were you wanting to change something? You could get the heatsink later if you overclock later and not now.
  17. Yea I may do that. I kind of want overclocking as a down the road option if I notice my PC is starting to fall behind in a couple years. So I like the idea of having it OC capable, but I will maybe just remember to buy the heatsink before I go that route. Other than that, nope. Everything looks great.
  18. I just wanted to come back and say thank you so much! I ordered everything you suggested and I've been using my new comp for about a week now. I haven't found a game I can throw at it that even makes it think about chugging, even on max settings. So, thanks! If anyone else is looking to set up a new build you might want to follow k1114's suggestion, because all of those parts put together seem to make a really great computer.

Thanks again. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Monitors New Build Systems Product