Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New build between 650-850$

Last response: in Systems
April 23, 2011 4:03:47 AM

I'm looking to build a new gaming computer, and I need everything but a monitor. My current monitor is HDMI and 28 inches, with a max res of 1900x1200. I was hoping I could get some suggestions on specific parts that would be optimal. Any advice would be very much appreciated. If there any info that I forgot to include that would be helpful, please let me know.

Thanks in advance! :) 

More about : build 650 850

Best solution

a c 107 C Monitor
April 23, 2011 5:46:29 AM
April 23, 2011 6:06:20 AM

its refreshing to see a build where i would change absolutely nothing. well done k1114. actually, i would go with the sony optiarc dvd burner because it has an all black front :) 

this guy may need to kick it down a bit however, if he needs windows
m
l
Related resources
April 23, 2011 5:22:52 PM

I have a windows 7 CD, and I don't plan to overclock (I'm really not confident enough that I'd know what I was doing). And unfortunately, I don't think I even know what a microcenter is :)  I really appreciate you taking the time to give me suggestions though! Thanks.
m
l
April 23, 2011 5:33:59 PM

genghiskron said:
its refreshing to see a build where i would change absolutely nothing. well done k1114. actually, i would go with the sony optiarc dvd burner because it has an all black front :) 

this guy may need to kick it down a bit however, if he needs windows

Could you explain what you mean about kicking it down if I need windows? I pretty much always use windows, so I'm curious what you mean.
m
l
a c 107 C Monitor
April 23, 2011 5:46:52 PM

He meant kick the price down as windows is $100 and to fit in the budget would need to lower the specs.

Ok here's a build with no overclocking, but the mobo doesn't have sata 3 and usb 3, I did see another one that was $20 more if you wanted to have these. The liteon dvd/cd drive was just the cheapest one i saw price+shipping. I could still get a lower priced build if you'd like but you have a max of $850 so I'd get the best I could but you might not need so much power. What games do you play? Also case looks is more of a personal preference, and there are more minimalist looking cases if you'd like. I could also go to the 1gb 6950 as you probably won't unlock the 2gb to a 6970.

• LITE-ON DVD Writer - Bulk - Black SATA Model iHAS224-06 LightScribe Support - OEM
  • COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
  • SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
  • HIS H695F2G2M Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
  • Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
  • G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK
  • Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500
  • ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    TOTAL: $806.94
    m
    l
    April 23, 2011 6:49:03 PM

As far as the games I play, sometimes I play MMORPGs, sometimes first person shooters. But as far as I know, both of those can be pretty demanding on computers, especially an MMO when there are a lot of players on screen.

And hitting the 850 max is fine, I just put a lower number in the event that some parts that cost more are really minimal upgrades over their cheaper counterparts.

You mentioned the mobo doesn't have sata 3 and usb 3, what does that mean exactly? And the DVD drive isn't that important to me, so the one you picked should be fine. I also was fine with the case you picked, it's the same company that my current case is from and I liked it.

Also, what do you mean exactly with not unlocking the 2gb to a 2970?

Thanks again for all your help, I'm pretty incompetent with this stuff, so please bear with me.
    m
    l
    April 23, 2011 6:50:57 PM

Best answer selected by Lochness100.
    m
    l
    a c 107 C Monitor
    April 23, 2011 7:03:05 PM

I'm sure you know what usb is, current usb version is 2.0 which is a ~30mb/s, usb 3 is the new version ~300mb/s and is backwards compatible. It's still pretty new but by the end of the year, all flash drives and such should be usb 3. Sata 3 only pertains if you want a SSD.

BY unlocking a 6950 to a 6970 you essentially make the 6950 a 6970 which is 20% more performance I think. You said you weren't confident with overclocking and this is similar to that in the aspect that you're changing settings. So go with the 1GB version to save money.
    m
    l
    April 23, 2011 7:19:50 PM

Okay, I see what you're saying. And yeah, I know what USB is, but I didn't know what you meant by USB 3. I thought maybe you meant it had 3 usb ports. And considering I'm not sure what an SSD is, I don't think I need that.

Also, as far as the video cards go, it seems like a 1gb card would be a big downgrade from a 2gb (completely based on the fact that 2gb is twice as much as 1gb :)  ). Would the 2gb card not inherently be a lot better than the 1gb even without me messing with it? And is "unlocking" also potentially dangerous like overclocking is? The only reason I don't feel confident overclocking is because I wouldn't want to damage anything. If all I'd have to do to unlock something is change bios settings, then I could handle that.

* One other thing I forgot to ask. I noticed you had 4GB of ram for me. I think I vaguely remember in the old days that ram was pretty important for games, but I may be thinking of something else. Is it just kind of overkill to get more than 4GB? Or did you have to get 4GB to stick within the price range?
    m
    l
    a c 107 C Monitor
    April 23, 2011 7:30:56 PM

Overclocking the new intel cpus are really easy, you pretty much keep stock everything, set to manual and OC to ~4.4. This guide also states max voltages so aslong as you stay below those, you'll be fine, but ~4.4 on stock voltage is fine so you shouldn't have to change voltages. I don't think you'll need the performance right now but it's good to have the option if you decide to later. Here's a guide. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265056-29-2600k-2500k...

There's not much difference form the 1gb and 2gb 6950, 1gb is fine for you're resolution. The 2gb version has a switch to revert back to stock bios if you do mess up so there's little chance of messing it up. Here's a guide for that. http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcar...

4gb of ram is all you need for gaming. The h61 only has 2 slots so your stuck to change out both if you want more, the p67 has 4 slots though. Here's the link to the other h61 with usb3, it also has 4 slots. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
    m
    l
    April 23, 2011 8:13:47 PM

k1114 said:
    Overclocking the new intel cpus are really easy, you pretty much keep stock everything, set to manual and OC to ~4.4. This guide also states max voltages so aslong as you stay below those, you'll be fine, but ~4.4 on stock voltage is fine so you shouldn't have to change voltages. I don't think you'll need the performance right now but it's good to have the option if you decide to later. Here's a guide. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265056-29-2600k-2500k...

There's not much difference form the 1gb and 2gb 6950, 1gb is fine for you're resolution. The 2gb version has a switch to revert back to stock bios if you do mess up so there's little chance of messing it up. Here's a guide for that. http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcar...

4gb of ram is all you need for gaming. The h61 only has 2 slots so your stuck to change out both if you want more, the p67 has 4 slots though. Here's the link to the other h61 with usb3, it also has 4 slots. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Awesome :)  Maybe I'll give overclocking a try. With a good guide there shouldn't be any reason I can't figure it out. Thanks again for your help. I may order all the parts tonight. I really appreciate all the help!
    m
    l
    April 23, 2011 8:27:34 PM

Okay, I'll make sure to pick that up. And the last thing I wanted to check was if there's any way to be sure that everything will fit in the case alright. I remember the last time I upgraded my video card it was so big that it almost didn't fit inside my case, so I was hoping there's some way to be sure that I won't have any problems like that.

*also, is the only difference between the mobo that has 4 slots for ram instead of 2 the extra 5$? I'd feel better about having the option to add more ram in the future, so if the price difference is that small I think i'll go for the one with 4 slots - or am i missing something?
    m
    l
    a c 107 C Monitor
    April 23, 2011 8:43:56 PM

Are you going with the first build I posted? The 6950 fits the haf 912. And if you're going with the first build you need the p67 to overclock and that has 4 slots.
    m
    l
    April 24, 2011 2:09:33 AM

I may go with the first build - so if I do I just need to make sure i get the p67 mobo and the heat sink, right?
    m
    l
    a c 107 C Monitor
    April 24, 2011 2:22:32 AM

My exact first build + the heatsink I forgot, for overclocking. Were you wanting to change something? You could get the heatsink later if you overclock later and not now.
    m
    l
    April 24, 2011 5:46:51 AM

Yea I may do that. I kind of want overclocking as a down the road option if I notice my PC is starting to fall behind in a couple years. So I like the idea of having it OC capable, but I will maybe just remember to buy the heatsink before I go that route. Other than that, nope. Everything looks great.
    m
    l
    May 6, 2011 2:50:46 PM

I just wanted to come back and say thank you so much! I ordered everything you suggested and I've been using my new comp for about a week now. I haven't found a game I can throw at it that even makes it think about chugging, even on max settings. So, thanks! If anyone else is looking to set up a new build you might want to follow k1114's suggestion, because all of those parts put together seem to make a really great computer.

Thanks again. :) 
    m
    l
    !