Sign in with
Your question

Mass Effect 2 on PC

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 16, 2011 8:48:08 PM

Hello, I just bought Mass Effect 2 for my PC. I've installed it and tried to play it, but every, time I do, a message pops up that says "Failed to initialize the physics system. Please ensure you have an updated version of the PhysX system software installed."
So I went and installed the newest version of PhysX available, but I keep getting that message. Am I just boned and it is never going to work because I have an ATI card, or is there some other way to get it to work?

More about : mass effect

February 16, 2011 9:00:21 PM

Well, yes, technically it won't ever work because PhysX is a nVidia exclusive feature.

It should still be possible to play the game just fine without PhysX on, I have with an ATI 5770, and it looked and ran great.
m
l
February 16, 2011 10:03:21 PM

Ok, thanks, I'll just try and find a way to make work it. Cause either way, I have downloaded PhysX, but it says the game cannot work, but then if it should work without it, then it saying it can't work without PhysX is a contradiction. Well, something's bound to work. And if nothing else, I'm planning on upgrading my PC here in a month or two, so I'll just gett'r then.
m
l
Related resources
February 16, 2011 10:21:48 PM

Also might want to try reinstalling the game (since you already reinstalled PhysX) and checking for the latest patches, etc.
m
l
February 16, 2011 10:45:39 PM

EXT64 said:
PhysX works on the GPU or CPU, so the lack of an NVidia card does not stop you from playing a game with PhysX, nor does it force you to turn off PhysX.

Try reinstalling the PhysX software: http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx-9.10.0513-driver.htm...

Hmmm... I had no idea you could run PhysX off of the CPU!
m
l
February 16, 2011 10:59:15 PM

Yes, NVidia tries their best to make it seem otherwise, but in actuality there are not many games that use GPU PhysX. In fact, ME2 only uses CPU PhysX, so having an NVidia card would make no difference whatsoever.
m
l
February 16, 2011 11:33:15 PM

Yes I suggest reinstalling it from the disk, ME2 might need it to be version specific to be recognized.
m
l
February 17, 2011 2:13:30 AM

Yep - so uninstall then reinstall the game, then check for patches and apply, then hopefully play and enjoy.
m
l
February 17, 2011 3:28:27 AM

Anyway, Me2 has one or two patches, Try them out.
m
l
February 17, 2011 4:09:31 AM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Overall, I got the game to work. I just uninstalled both PhysX and ME2, then reinstalled PhysX and THEN the game. It works just fine now and is a bloody awesome game. Problem I had last time was I didn't have PhysX installed but installed ME2, so when ME2 searched for PhysX it couldn't find it, so I downloaded PhysX, but it still couldn't find it, so with uninstalling both the game and driver, I effectively did like a refresh of the ME2's recognition of the PC's driver list; at least that's the best explanation I could come up with. Again, thanks to everyone who gave out some suggestions, it really helped and now I can enjoy my $20.00 I spent.
m
l
February 17, 2011 4:16:12 AM

You need to reinstall the latest physx driver. It happens every time I reinstall Dragon Age.
m
l
February 17, 2011 11:14:02 AM

Glad you got it fixed. I can't wait to play the game too (I know, I'm behind. I have the game, but probably won't be able to play it until the summer).
m
l
February 17, 2011 1:38:49 PM

Make a profile so you aren't a baddie and can turn on anti-aliasing.
m
l
!