Just added another GTX 470 and...

oooen1gmaooo

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Well I just received my 2nd GTX 470 today, installed it, etc. And I have been running some games to see hows things were working and I noticed that my first card is getting hotter than it usually does. I have both of them overclocked at
1.087v/800MHz/1700MHz/ with the fans running 100% at all times. Before adding the card my temps never get above 93c which is still high, but now it goes to 104c before I stop playing my games.
So to make things clear why would my card get hotter by adding a 2nd card? Wouldn't it take some load off each card?
Maybe I should remove the Overclock?
I kind of need the overclock tho because tomorrow I am getting two more monitors in the mail, so I can have Nvidia surround all hooked up but it would be nice to figure out why things are getting so hot.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Whenever you add a second card system temps will increase at least a small amount. The amount of temperature increase depends on system airflow, how much the second card blocks airflow to the first card, whether the cards are external exhaust or internal exhaust, etc.

Which GTX 470's are you using?

Edit: it has also been observed that the card the monitor is connected to often runs ~5C hotter than the slave card.

Be careful with that 104c temp, the thermal threshold is 105c. I would back off the overclock. In SLI, you are getting so much performance, it is not necessary. There is no way that you should be up to 104c, even in SLI, with the fan at 100% on a custom cooler. You also need to check your case exhaust fans and airflow, since the GPU exhaust heat is getting dumped back into the case.

oooen1gmaooo

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
There is an 1" give or take a 1/4" in between the two cards.
I have the old one on top, but I don't think that matters? I just went through and blasted everything w/ a duster can cleaned all the intakes and exhausts. But the temps are still kind of high.
I disabled the overclock for now, but do you think the 470's can handle three monitors at 5760x1080 w/o being overclocked?
I am going to test everything out now w/ the overclock off to see how the temps handle.