Sign in with
Your question

SLi GTX580 SC - PSU sufficient enough?

Last response: in Components
July 22, 2011 7:19:11 AM

Greetings,

I'm planning to add a second GTX580 to my system, but before i proceed with my order i want to make sure that my current PSU will be enough for a Sli setup even if i OC my CPU (which i'm planning to do)

This is what i have now:
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 910W SLI Certified ATX Power Supply 80 Plus Silver
http://www.pcpower.com/products/description/Silencer_91...
Manufacturer states that the PSU is "NVIDIA SLI Certified (Up To 2 x GTX580)", but i have a feeling that it might be a close call - pushing the PSU to max.

Suggestions?

Current system:
Intel Core i5 2500K no OC done yet
ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
Corsair Cooling Air Series A70
EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Superclocked
G.SKILL 8GB DDR3-1600
Coolermaster Haf 922 /w extra 200mm side fan

a c 137 ) Power supply
July 22, 2011 3:07:18 PM

You are good.

Psu requirements are almost entirely determined by the graphics configuration. A OC adds a negligible amount to the load.

Your psu is a very good one, and is conservatively rated. It can run at 1000w peak, not that it will be needed.

Go ahead and add your second card with your current psu.
Look for any graphics artifacts which might indicate insufficient power. I would expect none.
If, by some remote chance there is insufficient power, you could change it out later.

No need to do it in advance.
a b ) Power supply
July 22, 2011 4:24:44 PM

Heres some information i found on a review site:

GeForce GTX 580
On your average system the card requires you to have a 650 Watt power supply unit.

GeForce GTX 580 in SLI
A second card requires you to add another 250 Watts. You need a 900+ Watt power supply unit if you use it in a high-end system (1 KiloWatt recommended if you plan on any overclocking).

!