Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Sapphire ati radeon 4670 graphics card power requirements

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 16, 2011 10:40:52 PM

I have a Dell xps 400 with 375 watt psu and the ati card did not function. Will going to a 430 watt supply work?
a c 124 U Graphics card
February 17, 2011 12:14:12 AM

If the video card is functional, it will work with a 430 watt power supply. The ATI requirement states 400+ watts required.

Additionally, I would suggest an 80-plus power supply if possible/available.
a c 164 U Graphics card
February 17, 2011 12:24:25 AM

That dell 375W unit is very good, it should have ran that card just fine. I'd test the card in a different computer.
Related resources
a c 503 U Graphics card
February 17, 2011 12:48:39 AM

^+1. The 375 Watt power supply should be able to run the system with the HD 4670 without any problems.

Do you know if the HD 4670 graphics card is even functional?
a c 235 U Graphics card
February 17, 2011 1:19:23 AM

i agree with the others. sounds more like a video card or driver issue. as is, that DELL PSU is pretty solid and DELL uses it to power ATI 4850 cards.
February 23, 2011 11:02:00 PM

4745454b said:
That dell 375W unit is very good, it should have ran that card just fine. I'd test the card in a different computer.

installed the thermaltake 430 watt and all appears to be working.
February 23, 2011 11:10:08 PM

ko888 said:
^+1. The 375 Watt power supply should be able to run the system with the HD 4670 without any problems.

Do you know if the HD 4670 graphics card is even functional?


Everthing appears to be fine after installation of the 430 watt psu. This all started with the windows experience index. Under Vista, I had a base score of 2.1 limited by graphics. I installed Windows 7 and the WEI would no longer run due to "inability to measure video playback" I ordered the 4670 card hoping to improve the playback. Installed with the Dell 375 and the unit and computer just powered on and off continuously. I put back the original card and all was well once again except getting the WEI to run. I spoke to Microsoft and got a recommendation of increasing the PSU as the card recommends at least a 400 watt..
Again, all seems to be working perfectly. The Graphic score went from 2.1 to 6.7. I'm just crossing my fingers that it continues.
Thank you for your response.
February 23, 2011 11:11:11 PM

ct1615 said:
i agree with the others. sounds more like a video card or driver issue. as is, that DELL PSU is pretty solid and DELL uses it to power ATI 4850 cards.


The new 430 watt installation fixed everything!
a c 124 U Graphics card
February 23, 2011 11:21:01 PM

allan1947 said:
The new 430 watt installation fixed everything!

It's always nice when you get your machine running. Good for you.
!